35. Three Steps Back

The car ride back to Carter's house was extremely uncomfortable.

It was just the twins, Dylan, and I.

Carter decided to ride in the other car because he had to talk to Libby about something "important".

The silence was slowly killing me, but if he wanted silence then he was going to get exactly that.

"What was that back there?"

Well there goes the silence.

"What are you talking about?" His knuckles suddenly turned white as he gripped onto the steering wheel.

"Kota, I'm being serious." He said through gritted teeth.

"So am I. I don't know what you saw back there, but I assure you it's nothing. Plus, if there was something it shouldn't concern you."

I really need to know when to shut up.

"What do you mean it shouldn't concern me?"

"Well, I don't know how I can break it down more than that. You're a pretty smart man, you are the CEO of---"

"Dakota, it concerns me because I can't stand another man looking, hugging, and especially kissing you. You're the woman I love, and the mother of my children. So, everything about you, especially your love life concerns me."

"Alec is just a friend." I sighed.

"Well clarify that with him because the way he looks at you doesn't scream friendship."

"He knows that already."

"No he doesn't. You need to stop seeing him."

"Excuse me?" I asked in disbelief.

"You need to stop seeing him." He said.

"You will not order me around and especially tell me who I can see and who I can't. Alec has been by side since the beginning. Thanks to him I was able to safely make it Switzerland, and have a roof over my head for the first day and food in my stomach. So, no Dylan I will not stop seeing him because you said so. He's a huge part of my life."

"Do you love him?" Dylan whispered. I suddenly felt the car come to a stop.

"Of course I do, he's been a true friend. He's been loyal, supportive, and caring. Things I wouldn't necessarily use to describe you."

He looked hurt right after I said that, and I immediately regretted it.

"I know I've made mistakes, you have already punished me enough. Because of your selfishness I missed your pregnancy. I missed seeing your stomach grow every month, I missed every ultrasound, I missed hearing their heartbeat for the first time in those ultrasounds. So yeah I may not be loyal, supportive, or caring, but at least I'm not as selfish as you." He sneered.

"Don't you dare put everything on me. I left because I didn't want Brandon growing up without a father."

"But you wanted that for our children?"

"Brandon needed you more than the twins. The twins would have had me and Carter. I was selfish for you. I wanted you to be happy. So don't you dare pin this on me."

"Oh so the twins were meant to be happy with you and Carter? Were you going to tell them that Carter was their father or that their father was dead?"

Don't cry.

"I would have told the twins about you. I would have been honest. I would have allowed them to make the decision themselves of whether they wanted to meet you or not."