01

Scarlett

Dear Journal,
I've mentioned this many times before this day, but today is one of the most important days of my life. If I don't receive this once in a life time opportunity, I guess you could say my future in writing is over. Having my own writing section in the year book will be a defying moment to see if I'd be accepted into Colorado College.

Though, I had more than enough credits to graduate last year, this one writing opportunity is only offered your senior year in high school and my family and I are not financially prepared to pay for college. One of the qualifications is to write a story about something major in your school because they want to see how well you can report a story. And what isn't more big than writing a story about our star quarterback, Austin Moore? No doubt he's going to be a challenge but if it's going to get me into college, it's worth it.

I close my journal and slipped it into the pocket of my backpack, figuring that I should make it to the Café before school. My job at the Café is the best. I don't only go there on my free time to relax, but it's also home to my favorite drink - matcha green tea. As an extra bonus, I have the world's greatest boss, Sheri. With all of the time I've spent there, we've become the greatest of friends. So I guess you could say she's like a sister I never had with the way we look out for each other and tell each other everything.

I make my way through the creaky old house I call home to the small kitchen. The all too familiar yellow post-it note plastered on the fridge greets me, like it does every morning. It reads: "Good morning honey! Your dad and I had to work the early double shift and won't be back till later tonight. You can warm up some food in the fridge for dinner. So sorry dear.
Love you always,
Mom and Dad

A sad smile slowly makes its way onto my face as I toss the note in the trash. Mom and dad have been working multiple jobs with multiple shifts for as long as I can remember. So because of that, we barely get to see or spend any quality time together. But when we do, I cherish the moment deeply because I know we all love each other no matter how little we get to show it.

The reason behind all of that is because we really need the money. We barely have enough money to keep living in the small house we live in now and it doesn't help that I need to go college. Despite my parent's protesting, that's also the reason why I decided to get a job. They work hard enough as it is and since I spend so much time in the Café, Sheri offered me a waitressing job there.

After washing the bowl of eaten cereal, I placed it back in to the cupboard and grabbed my bag that was leaning against the counter. I grab my camera and headed out through the creeky old door of my house, making sure to lock it in the process.

Since my family doesn't own a car, I walk everywhere I go and my parents take the bus. None of us complain however. I enjoy the daily exercise and they get to spend more time with each other (at least that's what they've told me). And it's also really convenient that our town is small, so it makes transportation easy.

On the way to the Café, I capture random pictures I see worth taking like I always do every morning. I don't keep them though; I examine and delete them later. What I examine in these pictures quite depends on the people that are captured in it.

Call me weird (won't be the first), but observing people is something I catch myself doing quite often. For as long as I can remember, I've always been curious as to why people do things, and try to piece together what they're going through. Some try to hide all of that with their exterior motives, but if you capture them at the right moment, especially if they think someone's not looking, you could spot the real emotions behind it all.

That curiosity is part of the reason why I want to become a writer. I want to be able to capture things in my writing that most people can't see with the naked eye. Every person or thing has a story that's worth telling. And every story has something to learn from. Being a part of that has always been a dream of mine and I'll do anything to make it come true.

I approach the Café sign hanging from the roof and smiled in delight at how much I love this place. I push the door open making the bell hanging from above ring, signaling every time someone enters. I'm not much of a coffee person, but I really do love the smell. And the smell of freshly brewed coffee always makes my mornings when I come.

Front behind her office door in the back, I could hear things falling and a lot of movement before Sheri comes stumbling out tying her hair up in a messy bun. Her eyes snap up and when she realizes it's only me, her smile is slowly replaced with a scowl. I give her a cheeky grin knowing what's about to come. "No, no, no, no, no! You, out" she starts, "you have school to get to and have no place to be here in the morning."

"But, Sher!" I complain, "you know I need the money," I try to pull with a pout, "and you know that I'm in no need to focus on my classes," I add pointedly. It's true though. I only have AP Lang and AP Lit this year since I don't need anymore credits than I already have from last year. And because I love writing so much, those classes aren't that hard.

Knowing her though, she doesn't bite and continues to scowl at me with glared eyes. "Don't give me that," she scolds, putting a finger up, "I already told you, I'm giving you paid leave when it comes to the mornings! Which means don't come," she sternly explains, pushing me out and closing the door on me.

I grin and roll my eyes at her. "Ok, love you! See you after school," I yell through the shut door.

"Yeah, yeah love you too," she yells dismissively.

I turn on my heel and started for school still laughing at Sheri. She's in her mid twenties but still acts like an ignorant and immature teenager. That's probably why we get along so well and treat each other like family.

The walk to school lasted about 5-7 minutes, which made me relatively early. But before walking through Centralview High's entrance, I took in a deep breath, praying, hoping that I'd get this writing opportunity.

✫✫✫