22

Austin

I've tried leaving Scarlett alone about the whole Carson and whispering thing from the first day I noticed it. It didn't stop there, however. As the days went on, and more people were starting to realize that Scarlett and I are a 'thing', Scarlett seemed to keep to herself more. And it's not until we leave school that she starts to act like her normal self.

Every time I try to ask her about it, she either waves me off or changes the subject, and she can't keep doing this. Carson has the feeling that she doesn't like him - I don't blame her - but still, he tried to start over with her.

As we continue to walk down the halls, Scarlett sends another forced smile to someone who says hi to her. I shake my head and pulled her into an empty classroom, deciding that I need to know what's bothering her.

"Ok, spill," I exasperate.

She gets taken aback, and blinks her eyes rapidly as she takes a step from me. "Excuse me?"

"What's been up with you for the past week or two?" I ask gesturing her up and down.

She looks at me hesitantly before masking it with irritation. "I still don't know what you're talking about, Austin," she sighs crossing her arms.

"Those people are trying to be nice to you! And you're giving them the cold shoulder." She avoids meeting my eyes, confirming my accusation. I let out a harsh breath of air and shook my head when she doesn't answer me. "I mean I understood the first couple of times, but now? You-"

"No, that's just it, you don't get it," she exclaims still avoiding eye contact.

"Well then help me understand because even Carson notices something is up."

She sighs. "Do you not think I know what people say about me? What they call me when they think I'm not around?" She questions; her eyes strained on me.

I did not, but instead say, "I thought you didn't care about that stuff."

She lets out a bitter laugh and shakes her head. "For the last time, I couldn't care less about what they say! It's about what they're saying now!" Confusion fills my features as I look at her, not knowing what to say. "You still don't realize?" She asks looking at me through hopeful eyes.

I shake my head and took her hand in mine. "Tell me."

Her tensed state seems to relax at my touch and she heaves out another sigh. "People are only being nice to me because they know I'm with you."

"That's not true," I tell her, grasping her shoulders. Although, something deep down in me knew she was right.

She lets out a frustrated sigh and wiggles out of my grasp. "If I wasn't with you, then people would still be treating me as they were. They don't mean anything they say to me because inside, they will still believe I am the same person they think I am."

Concern writes itself across my face as I stare at her frustrated one. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shocked at this sudden revelation. I was. Never would I have thought this. Even though I know what she meant, I would never know how she feels.

I gently pull her into my arms and felt her relax in my hold. I pull apart, but only to the point where I could see her face. "I'm not saying that you have to like them, but give them a chance?" She stiffens and looks up at me. "I mean, you could look at this like they're trying right?" She nods her with a thoughtful glint in her eyes. There was a moments pause before I spoke again. "Or, you could just act like you like them, like you did with me," I say trying to lighten up the mood.

She lets out a small snort and rests her head on my chest before looking back up at me. "You mean, like how you were pretending with me?" She asks squinting her eyes at me.

I let out a low chuckle and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "I was not pretending," I whisper in her hair.

She pulls back a bit and sends me a glare. "I don't believe that for a second," She retorts with a laugh and saunters to the door when the warning bell rings. After following her out, I walk her to her class. Before going inside, she turns around and flashes me a smile. "Thank you, I needed that."

"You and me both," I say before heading to to my class.

What I said was true. She's been obviously holding that in for a long time, and, besides the fact that I wanted answers, I needed that because it gave me another insight into what goes on in her mind. That, she's more than what I see with the naked eye.

It wasn't until that last thought that I realized something; I'm falling for her.

✫✫✫