28

Scarlett

Tonight, Austin is taking me to the field right outside of town; the very same one he took me on our first date. I haven't seen him since the night I gave him my report, so I have no idea what he thinks of it. To say I'm nervous to what he'll say is a complete understatement. I basically wrote I loved him instead of telling him in person first. It all seemed romantic at the time; to have him read it, be all happy, and kiss me or something. But now that I'm rethinking it, I suppose that was a silly thought.

This morning, my parents told me they won't be home till late, and to not stay out late either. They know Austin and I go out most of the time, and they're fine with it as long as I'm careful.

A knock sounds at my front door making my heart do a little jump. I walk over to the door and inhaled a deep breath. Here goes nothing. As the door opens, the creaking sound if it just adds to the amount of nerves building as the space between the wall and the door keeps on getting bigger. Once he's in view, all I can do at the moment is muster up a small smile.

"I have a bone to pick with you," Austin says, crossing his arms.

"Do you?" I ask, feigning in innocence. He takes a challenging step towards me, ignoring my response. His eyes slightly narrow in an impatient sort of way, making me bite my bottom lip; feeling a little bit queasy on the inside. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I exclaim, "I really am, but just so you know, I never lie in my writings."

Half a smirk, half an amused grin appears on his face, but still tries to keep his intimidating composure. He takes a step closer with arms still crossed. "I want to hear you say it." I stare at him agape, my heart pounding thunderously against my rib cage.

I never thought I'd be the one tell him first. I always told myself that I'd wait to see if he feels the same for me, and then tell him after he does. I guess you could say this came out of fear. But I suppose now is a good of a time as ever. So, I gather every last ounce of dignity I could find at the moment, and inhaled a deep breath.

"Austin..." I start, releasing my intake of air, "I never would have thought I would ever know you, much less become your girlfriend. But, I'm glad that I have. And I'm sorry I didn't tell you first...I've always written all my feelings before I do anything about it." I pause, glancing at Austin. He's looking me through such a soft, and dare I say loving expression that I almost lose my train of thought. But I continue. "I was planning on saying it to you, I was, but-"

I pause, and looked at him. And I mean, really looked at him. He's looking at me through an expression I've always hoped of someone to do so. And that's when I knew, he loved me too. And it made this, what I'm doing now, ghat much easier to do. I heave out a sigh, looked at him straight in the eyes, and said, "I love you Austin Moore."

Seeing the look on his face the moment those words left my mouth, made me fall even harder. If I thought the look he gave me was the I'd hoped, the look he's giving me now is surreal. Almost as if this is all just a dream.

His arm encircles around my waist as he brings me close to him. He stares at me for a moment before closing the remaining distance between us, with a kiss. It was a slow, soft kiss. The one that I love having with him. He pulls apart slightly, only enough to whisper, "I love you too, Scarlett Jones."

At the field, that was right outside of town, we lay on multiple blankets, staring off at the diamond filled sky above. And, for once, I didn't care about the possible bugs that were crawling around in the field. Just being here with him, with the boy I love, was more important. And so, we just layer there, not saying much; just enjoying each other's presence.

There was no need for an extra blanket, for the night wasn't cold. The breeze was gentle, just enough to make the flowers in the field to sway ever so slightly. It was nights like this that I enjoyed. The ones where I could see the sky, instead of the cloud-filled ones that usually block the view.

To the side of me, Austin says, "I remember the first time I saw you. And I mean really saw you."

I look at him incredulously. "Yeah...ok, Austin," I sigh. There's no way he could remember a thing like that. It's not like him; he's not that kind of person to remember little things like that. I look back up at the stars and tried to get lost in them.

He ignored what I said, and continued on. "It was sophomore year, and we were in the same English 10 class; it was presentation day for our argumentative topics." I smile as the memory comes to mind. I do remember that day. At the time, it was my best presentation I've done, and I was extremely proud of how much I put into it. The topic I chose was legalizing marijuana. It was a difficult topic, since I was on the fence whether I was for or against it, but I made sure I put in a lot of research.

He continued. "I don't remember what my topic was and I'm pretty sure everyone else didn't either after your presentation," he chuckles then, and continues, "and everyone was so impressed that no one wanted to go up after you did." He looks at me then and give my hand a tight squeeze. "I might have not thought anything of it - or you - then, but I'm glad I did."

I leaned over and placed a light kiss on his cheek. That might have been the best thing someone said to me. I lay back down, smiling. He hovers over me, a grin playing on his lips. Our close proximity- and new found position - has my heart beating loud.

"Hi," I manage to let out with a breathy sigh. His grin widens, and he leans down closer, slowly, making my adrenaline flow like the Niagara Falls. His lips brush on top of mine, before fully kissing me. I smile against his lips as I kiss him back. We end up kissing for what seems like hours, but I'm pretty sure it was actually minutes.

We pull back, and he kisses me once on the forehead, lingering there for a moment, before we are back to gazing at the starts. For a while, we lay there in our own silence, until Austin brakes it again.

"Remember the very first day you came up to me?" I look to him and nodded my head with a knowing smile. "I think I figured out what you meant when you said every story matters."

I give him a peculiar look, and shifted to my side to face him. "Oh, yeah?" I ask, watching him do the same.

He nods his head, as he laces out fingers together. "Yeah."

"And what is it that you figured out?"

The side of mouth lifts up into a half smile. "It's like what I was talking about earlier; about your presentation. Yes, it's a memory, but it's also a story that's a part of us."

I smile at him, glad that he figured out what I'd meant. And then that is when it came to me. "You want to know what other story is a part of us?" I ask, brushing my thumb against his hand. He shakes head, a questioning glimmer in his eyes. "Well it started with a paper. A paper that would define a girl's future." The sides of his eyes crinkle as he lets out a laugh while tilting his head back. I grin at him, knowing he'd catch on.

"I think I know this story," he lets out humorously while I smile at him. "It's my favorite story," he adds, sending me a smile back. We share a look, one that sends butterflies to my stomach. Not the kind where you're sick. The kind of feeling when you get a sense of happy nerves. Caving in to my nerves, I lean in and kiss him. I pull apart only enough to whisper, "me too," until we're back to kissing again.

And I thought, I can't wait to see our story grow in the near future.

The End