09

Scarlett

Dear Journal,
Going to Austin's house was an emotion rollercoaster ride. His demeanor changes so much, I'm surprised I haven't gotten whiplash yet. In the beginning of the night, when we were on our way to his house, I think was the very first time in a while I felt vulnerable. I usually don't care what people thought of me, but I couldn't get myself to him the truth about me, and where I lived. I think it was mostly because of the way he talked about my side of town and the people living there.

But as soon as we got to his house - it was only for a while - but as soon as we got to his house, I couldn't stop marveling at the beauty of everything. His house consisted of think I could only dream of having one day.

Then, I felt anger. The strongest anger and irritation anyone could ever think of, I felt it. I couldn't believe what he has said about Nancy and Sheri. It was like any and all morals of life didn't exist in that moment. But the more I thought about it while we ate, it occurred to me that it must be hard to understand wealth when you're born into it.

"How's your story coming along?" Mr. Chaz asks unexpectedly.

I quickly close my journal and looked at my yearbook club teacher. "It's...uh, it's coming," I say giving him a tight smile.

Mr. Chaz gives me questioning gaze, but says, "I hope so. The deadline is coming up." I nod my head sighing. This would be so much easier if I actually had things to write about. Before Mr. Chaz leaves to check on the other students, he sees my defeated expression and asks, "do you know why I picked you for this assignment?" I shake my head. "Well besides what I've told you before about your qualifying essay, I know you were the only one who would care enough to actually get a story out of Austin Moore. Don't get me wrong though, the other writers had excellent stories, but I didn't fail to notice they didn't put in any effort to get a story out of him." I nod my head in understanding as he continues. "I can't imagine how difficult this is considering I wasn't the most popular with students like him back in my day, but it'll get easier as time passes. So don't give up." I give him another tight smile and thanked him as he goes to check how the other students are doing.

I know he was just trying to make this seem easier, but I can't ignore the amount of stress that's slowly piling on to me. A lot is depended on this assignment and I can't mess this up. If this were any other person, I'd probably be almost finished coming up with a story. But with Austin...I'm getting no where with him. All he's proved to me is the kind of person I pegged him to be from when I first met him. He's only shown to me that he could be nice when he wants to be. And I can't put any of that in my story.

After about another half and hour or so of me staring at a blank white page on the computer contemplating what I'm going to write, Mr. Chaz closes off the club saying that it's time to call it a day.

I heave out an exhausted sigh shutting down the school computer. After gathering my belongings, I reluctantly start to make my way to the football field. Figuring that I have enough pictures for now, I decide to just sit and watch them practice. Nothing really interesting happens though. It just mainly consisted of their coach yelling at them. Telling them to quit doing this, run a lap because you did something wrong. I don't think I'd survive as an athlete.

"Your Coach is pretty intense" I say to Austin once practice was over.

He chuckles and says, "Today was actually one of his better days." This makes me laugh along with him, but not really believing that today was one of his coach's "better days." He was going to add something else until Levy, and Carson came and stood beside him.

Levy puts a hand on Austin's shoulder and asks, "what's uh, going here?" with a tense tone edging his voice. Austin looks between me and his other friends with a hesitant expression. His friends give him an expectant look, almost as if they're telling Austin what to say or is expecting a certain answer out of him. But he doesn't say anything. He just continues to stand there with so much uncertainty written across his face.

When he doesn't answer, I decide to answer for him. "Oh, we were just jok-" I start to say.

"We weren't doing anything. I was just telling her I'm getting tired of her thinking that she could use her little interview as an excuse to talk to me," Austin rudely interrupts.

I take a step back, wide eyed at what I just heard Austin say. Not believing what he said about his coach is one thing, but this...this is another thing. I've never used my interview as an excuse to talk to him. If anything I'm the one that should be tired of having to talk to him for this paper. Carson and Levy start to softly chuckle behind him. And just for a second, I could have sworn I saw guilt flash through Austin's eyes. But like I said, it was only for a second, before it was replaced with a triumphant smirk.

I stare at Austin through narrowed eyes before turning on my heel and out of campus. I didn't have to stay there and put up them. If Austin wants to be like that, then fine! To heck with it! Sorry to Mr. Chaz, but I can't put with him. I tried. I'll find another way to get a story on him. Because trust me, anything would be better than this.

✫✫✫