07

Scarlett

Whoever I was talking to yesterday is gone. I thought he was actually trying to be a decent human being for once, but I guess I was looking at it all wrong. Austin never spared a single glance at me in the hall way in school and when I tried smiling or saying hi, all he did was give the cold shoulder and roll his eyes. From there, I figured it was back to square one with him. Which I didn't mind since it's him I'm talking about.

The rain that was supposed to fall yesterday decided to come down today. Which is not the best considering the fact that tonight's the first football game of the season and I was hoping to get in some good pictures. Thunder clashes from outside the building, startling a few people in the library. I turn my head back to my journal and continued to write. About what exactly, I'm not sure but I kept the pen in my hand moving, pretty much writing what ever came to mind.

To be honest though, the only thing on my mind at this moment is Austin. And I have no idea why. The thought of him immediately makes me cringe, so I try to think about something else. When nothing else comes to mind, I decide to just put my head down and maybe get in a small nap. I cross my arms on top of the wooden looking desk in front of me, feeling cold chills run up my arm from touching its surface, and laid my head right on top. Right as I was about to fall asleep, the bell rings, signaling the end of my free period. I softly grumble while grabbing my things and headed to lunch.

I always bring home lunch so I don't have to make my parents put in money. I sit at my normal table in the back corner of the cafeteria and started eating. In the corner of my eye, something catches my attention. So I shift my gaze in that direction and furrowed my eyebrows once I did. My gaze was met with Austin's, but as soon as Carson said something to him, he looked at him and then at me, then shook his head and looked down.

I've never seen Austin with that kind of demeanor before. Then again, I don't think anyone has. What could have Carson said to make Austin like that? I pack my container away and took my journal and pen out deciding that this was journal worthy.

Hey Journal,
Something just caught my attention during lunch. It was Austin. He was acting not like himself. If that made any sense. But, he has been acting withdrawn all day. Like he's hiding something or wants to do something, but can't. And I know I just met him, but I've come to notice that this particular expression isn't "normal", I guess, when it comes to him. I really want to know what that "something" is.

The bell rings signaling the end of lunch, to which I pack up my things and headed to my next class.

After school, I was surprised to see that Austin was waiting at my locker. My eyebrows furrow at the many things that were running through my mind, trying to come up with something probable that would explain this. "Never thought you'd be someone to come up and say hi," I say as I approach him.

He softly chuckles and kicks off of my locker to let me get to it. "And I'm still not that person," he comments. "I'm just here to tell you that we're continuing the interview at my house after the game."

My hand pauses mid air from taking my AP Lit textbook out. "I wasn't planning on doing an interview today," I start, "and why can't we just go back to the Café?" I finish, closing my locker. I found it kind of weird to find him telling me about an interview, but I didn't want to say anything just in case this is the only time where he is "willing" to do one. And in all honesty, I don't feel like going to his house.

"Trust me I wasn't either, but I just want to get this over with," he says, "and I hate that Café."

I scoff at his response and shook my head. Of course that's the reason; wasn't expecting anything more when it comes to him. "Fine" I exasperate, starting to walk out of campus and toward the Café.

✫✫✫