05

Scarlett

Dear Journal,
I underestimated the difficulty of interviewing Austin Moore. It's like he revolves around in his own impenetrable bubble where everything is about him. And by the looks of things, it doesn't seem like he's aware of this trait of his. He's no doubt good looking - anyone with eyes can see that, but once you actually talk to him, all of that suddenly disappears as you come to realize what kind of person he his. And I'm pretty sure that's just the scratch of the surface when it comes to him. I swear if I didn't hold my tongue back, I would have called him a narcissistic, ego maniac who's a pain in the

"I haven't seen you write with so much aggression since the time you lost your bullet journal" Sheri laughs from behind me.

I let out a bitter laugh and turned to face her. "You don't even know half of it." I may have only met him and the conversation lasted less than five minutes, but he infuriated me beyond imagination. I don't know how I'm supposed to put up with this attitude of his and actually get a story out of him.

"That bad, huh?" She asks, settling the tray on the table.

"You should have heard him, Sher. It's like he only thinks about himself," I start, "he won't answer any of my questions, and he didn't even let me introduce myself," I say rolling my eyes.

Sheri shakes her head with disappointment, and to be honest, I'm kind of disappointed in him too. I didn't think he'd be that bad, honestly. But I'm not giving up. There's no way I'm throwing everything I've worked so hard to get just because he's being difficult. There's too much at stake and the sooner I'm finished with this, the closer I am to applying to Colorado College.

"Well, the best you can do is be nice to him."

I nod my head agreeing with her. She picks up the tray again and heads to the back of the Café where the kitchen is. He may not want to do my interview, but I will get a story out of him.

The next day wasn't of anything interesting. Nothing new happened worth writing about. Well, except where I accidentally walked right into Austin when I was trying to put my journal away in my backpack. He didn't even acknowledge that it was me that ran into him. All he did was mumble a "watch it" before continuing on his way to wherever he was going. But knowing who I ran into, I wasn't too surprised he did that. In return, I simply just glared and rolled my eyes as he stalked away in the other direction.

I went straight to the football field once school was over. As I make my way over to the football field, I watch as the players scattered across the field run, dodge, throw, and tackle each other. I quicken my pace and stoped once I got to the benches and turned my camera on. I started to take pictures of Austin dodging and throwing to his fellow teammates who are trying to get open. After taking a few, I went through the pictures I took, figuring that I could use some for the report I'm going to write.

"I thought I told you I wasn't going to do your interview." Someone rudely snaps - although, I'm pretty sure I have an idea who it is.

I stop scanning through my camera and glanced up at Austin, rolling my eyes. "And you expected me to listen to you...why?" I ask.

A smirk worms its way onto his face and he shakes his head. "Why are you so persistent on something that no one would care to read?" He questions, quirking an eyebrow. "I mean, wouldn't it be easier to just write what that other person wrote?" He adds. As he says all of this, all I do is nod my head pretending that this has any affect on me like he thinks it does. I would tell him how important this is to me, but it wouldn't be worth it. He wouldn't all of a sudden start caring.

"I would...but, do you really want me to write my report based on just these few first impressions I have of you?" I ask, a sly smile forming on my lips. His smirk drops as he realizes what I'm getting at and is placed with bewilderment. "I mean, you're right when you said that no one reads anything that gets put in the year book," I add, "but I'm pretty sure there is at least one person that will and once they do, word will get out and then next thing you know-"

"Ok! I get it" he interrupts me. He sighs and throws his head back exasperated. He looks at me and then at the football team and then back at me. "Fine, I'll do your stupid interview," he whispers, "but not here." I squint my eyes at him knowing the exact reason as to why he doesn't want to do it here; he's embarrassed to be seen with me by his friends. But, I give him a triumphant smile nonetheless knowing that this is the best that I'm going to get out of him.

"Where do you want to have the interview?" I ask.

Austin's coach calls to him, telling him to hurry up. "I don't know, just wait here till practice is over, then we'll go wherever," he says running back to the middle of the field, leaving me on the sidelines.

✫✫✫