17

Scarlett

As I stare out of one of the Café's big windows, I mentally yell at Mother Nature for not showing this town sunlight. It's not raining right now, but the same gray clouds above loom in their places taunting us with rain or thunderstorm. I know I've said I loved the sound of rain and the cozy feeling it brings but, I wouldn't mind to enjoy some heat. The last time we had sunlight was when Austin took me to the park.

A crackle of thunder sounds and I heave out a disappointed sigh leaving to go to the back counter. The Café has been pretty slow today with only a few customers here and there, and Mr. Arlo of course but he has just left. He said that he had a Wheel of Fortune episode to finish so he left right after he ate.

Sheri comes to the back after delivering one of our customers' orders to them. She gives me the 'I'm over this' look and plops down at the rolling chair. "Can this day end already?" She groans, resting her head on the counter. "I wanna go home," she tries to mumble through the hard counter top. I roll my eyes at her and leant against the counter as well.

I grab my camera from under the cabinet and situated myself in the position before. Scrolling through the recent memories of my camera, pictures of Austin playing with Sparky show up first. I smile as the sweet moment replays itself in my mind and stared at one in particular where his smile actually meets his eyes and his eyes showing a bright twinkle of light within them. I'm not sure why I've never noticed it at the time but, I'm glad I did.

"I couldn't help but notice how close you two have become," Sheri's voice sounds from the side of me.

I look at her and tried to mask the faint blush that was trying to creep into my cheeks. "I don't know what you're talking about," I say trying to feign stupidity.

She looks at me incredulously and rolls her eyes sighing. "Oh come on, Scar. You're supposed to be the smart here," she says standing.

I know what she's getting at; I just don't want to admit it because if I do, it'll confirm something that might just disappoint me in the end. Austin probably doesn't feel anything for me more than friendship. Even if he does feel something, he has a good way at hiding it. That, or I'm just completely oblivious to what's happening around me.

"School smarts have nothing to do with feelings," I say giving her a pointed look.

She rolls her eyes at me and sighs. She takes one good look at the camera in my hands and glances back at me curiously. "So you don't like him?"

I glance away from her and at the picture on my camera's screen. I stare at it and my lips ever so slightly twitch up in a small smile, but I don't answer the question that was still lingering in the air. The silence I give Sheri seems to have confirmed the answer she needed when she said, "got it," and left to attend the new customers who walked in.

I slump against the counter after putting my camera away in her office until I'm ready to go home. A tap against one of the windows catches my attention and when I glance up, Austin is on the other side of the glass with his hands stuffed in his pockets. He wears half a grin on his face but I don't miss the sullen look behind his eyes. I make my way around the counter and out where Austin stood leaning against a wall.

"You could have came inside, you know," I greet. He gives me a small smile and looks down, sadness written in his expression. Something's obviously bothering him, but I have to ask, "is everything alright?" He gives me a sheepish look before trying to muster up a smile and nodded. I look at him incredulously not buying anything.

"What? I'm fine," he says crossing his arms stubbornly.

I roll my eyes sighing. "I'll be right back," I say before leaving to go tell Sheri that I'll be leaving with Austin. Once I return, Austin and I start walking down the street with no destination in mind. I tried waiting to see if he was going to explain what's bothering him, but when he stayed silent, I decided to say something.

"I hope you know I'm not a mind reader," I start, "I know you didn't just come to the Café to say hi," I finish, giving him a stern look. "What's wrong?"

He lets out a soft chuckle and glances down at me. He heaves in a breath of air before steadily releasing it. "My parents," he shrugs.

My playful grin diminishes at his answer. He's never really mentioned his parents before, besides the time he told me they took Sparky to the vet. At the time, I didn't really think much of it. I just assumed that with his parents being the most important doctors in town, they'd be busy and that's why he wouldn't mention them.

"What about them?" I question further.

He purses his lips together before answering. "You'd be surprised how much pressure they put on me," he explains.

"Seeing as though both of your parents are doctors, I can only imagine," I tell him honestly. It must be very difficult to be in the shadow of your parents' success. And to be the one who people think is destined for greatness must add to the building pressure.

He nods his head in response focusing his eyes in the distance in front of him. He doesn't say anything else and I assume he'll tell me the rest when he's ready. I soon come to the conclusion that even if he didn't want to talk, he probably just wanted the company, and so that's what I was for the rest of our walk.

✫✫✫