13

Scarlett

I listen to the patter of rain on the roof of my house as I blankly stare at the ceiling of my small bedroom. It's Thursday afternoon and there's absolutely nothing to do, except lay on my bed. As much as I dislike homework, it's times like this that I wish I had so I had something to do with my time. I can't watch television; we don't have one. I can't go out because it's raining and I would go on my computer, but it's only used for school or, in my parents' case, work.

So I stayed on my bed for what felt like hours that was actually 15 minutes, until the familiar rattling of keys at the front door ricochets throughout the thin walls of my house. I bolt out of my bed immediately knowing who's at the door. It's the two most important figures in my life: my parents.

"Mom, Dad!" I scream, giving them a hug.

"Hey Scar," they both say hugging me back.

I pull away and helped them put all of their work things aside. All too soon though, an unwanted thought immediately comes to mind reminding me that my parents are never home this early. "Don't get me wrong or anything but, why're you guys home so early?" I question anxiously. This could only be one of two things: their boss let them off early or...they were dismissed. And of course the last one is the one I'm not going for.

"Our boss let us out early. Said he had a family emergency at home," my Dad explains.

I let out a breath of relief and offered both of them a small smile. Mom caught onto this and grabbed a hold of my shoulders. "You mustn't worry, Scar. Your father and I will be just fine" she says, her voice laced with sincerity. I offer her another small smile and nodded my head. It's hard not to worry when your parents are basically holding off everything in their lives for you.

"Well on that note, who's hungry?" Mom asks, clasping her hands together.

Dad and I look at each other with goofy grins and raised our hands simultaneously making my mom laugh and roll her eyes. She made her famous Mac and Cheese for dinner which, to be honest, I might have eaten too much of. Way more than my stomach could hold and process anyway.

"It seems as though we see you less than before, Scarlett" my dad starts. "What have you been up to lately?"

I rinse and dry the last bowl at the sink before answering. "Nothing much. I'm still working at the Café...and I, oh! I'm writing a story on Austin Moore, you know for the scholarship" I explain, giving the bowl to mom.

My parents exchange looks of proud expressions. "That's amazing, Scarlett" my mom congratulates. I thank her as a bright smile makes its way onto my face.

At the mention of Austin's name, I couldn't help but let what happened yesterday at the park come to mind. Spending the day at the park with him has had to be the most amazing I've felt in a while. We both discovered things that helped us become more understanding about one another and even if what he told me wasn't a lot, it was still enough to let me know he's trying. And, I really appreciate that.

I cradle my hand as I remember where he held it when I told him my college situation. It was a feeling I didn't know I was capable of feeling. The kind that I've read in books, where the character feels a jolt of electricity surging throughout her body with just the slightest touch by her man. And to be honest, it's the kind that I've only dreamt of having with someone. Now that it's here and now that I've felt it, I don't know what means. But, I sure do know that I liked it.

"Why are you smiling?" My mom questions, eyeing me suspiciously.

My head snaps up, bringing me out of my reverie. I look at her wide eyed for a moment before relaxing. "Nothing" I start, crossing my right leg in front of the other- something I do when I'm nervous or uncomfortable. "I was just thinking how excited I am to...be able write this story" I try to say giving my mom a smile.

She squints her eyes at me, obviously not believing me. "Whatever you say, Scar" she states, heading toward hers and dad's bedroom. Before leaving, my dad also gives me a knowing look and follows my mom into their room.

I blankly stare at their retreating figures until they disappear behind the door, absolutely at a lost of words towards their actions. I know I'm a horrible liar, but the way my parents acted - like they knew something - was strange. Never have I seen them act like the way they just did. This could have been to the fact that I mentioned Austin and smiled, and for quite too long might I add, but  I couldn't help it.

After getting ready for bed, I tuck my legs securely under my blanket and nuzzled my face far into the pillow. Closing my eyes, I soon find myself falling into a peaceful slumber.

✫✫✫