14

Austin

If you were to tell me that I'll be friends with Scarlett two weeks ago, I would most definitely think you need some mental help. Now? Now I find myself thinking about her almost everyday. Yesterday at the park was the most fun I think I've ever had. Even more than when I'm with Carson and Levy. Don't ask me why, but speaking of them, they're at my house at the moment, trying to see who can handstand the longest. They saw the cheerleaders doing it in the gym after school today and thought one was better than the other.

In the far corner of my loft, a loud thud sounds. I glance up from my phone only to see Levy groaning in pain while holding his foot from hitting the wall too hard. Carson, on the other hand, is laughing his butt of. Rolling my eyes at them, I go back to the game I was playing. "Idiots" I mumble under my breath. Once my eyes are fixated back onto my phone screen, a pillow whacks the side of my head, making my phone drop to the floor.

"What the-, what the hell!" I sneer, picking up the pillow. I chuck it back at them, and grabbed my phone off of the ground.

"I won that by the way" Levy states as he leans against the wall.

"You fell, idiot. If anything, I won" Carson argues as he situates himself on the floor.

They continue to a banter back and forth but I zone them out not really caring as to what they're saying. As I let my mind wonder, it takes me back to yesterday at the park with Scarlett. The thought immediately putting a small, closed lipped smile on my face. I had such an amazing time with her. I mean, yeah, we just talked, but it's nice to have someone actually listen to you instead of telling you what you're doing wrong and what should be done.

"Yo, you alright man?" Carson questions, eyeing me curiously.

My eyes quickly snap up to him and I shake my head. "Yeah, why you ask?" I say.

He shrugs his shoulders and shakes his head. "You just dozed off for a sec" he starts to say.

"And was smiling like a complete goof" Levy interrupts laughing. I roll my eyes chuckling, not wanting to confirm or deny anything.

"But yeah. What's up with you nowadays?" Carson asks. "You've been MIA for the past couple of weeks"

I purse my lips together and tilted my head upward toward the ceiling, pretending that I was pondering on something. But figuring that I won't be able to hide this from them much longer, I decide telling them would be much easier - not only on them - but for me too. "I've...actually been hanging out with the fr-I mean Scarlett" I answer, deciding to leave out the fact that I also like it.

They both furrow their eyebrows, confused. "Who?" Levy asks.

"The Freak" I sigh, not feeling comfortable with calling her that anymore.

They both weirdly look at me with a bit of suspicion before looking at each other the same way and then back at me. I roll my eyes at them knowing what they're probably thinking. Probably thinking that we - Scarlett and I - have a 'thing' or they don't have the slightest clue as to why I'm hanging out with her.

"Why would you do that?" Levy questions with a bit of disgust edged to his tone.

"You mean besides the fact that she has to interview me for the yearbook?" I say with the same hint of disgust edged to mine. Who in the world does he think he is?

"There's another reason as why you're hanging out with the Freak?" He questions emphasizing the last part with a quizzical eyebrow pointed directly at me. Carson furrows his eyebrows with what looks like worry and vexation. "Whoa, hey man. That's not coo-" he try's to say but is interrupted when Levy abruptly stands taking challenging steps towards me.

I'm quickly taken aback by his tone so I draw my head back with a bitter laugh standing up as well. "I don't see how this is any of your business" I say gesturing with my hands.

He bitterly laughs and rolls eyes. "Hey, Carson" he calls turning his head towards him. "Looks like Austin here has a little crush" he finishes laughing shaking his head. The look on Carson's face is one that I haven't seen before. If anything he looks more angry and irritated than before. He shakes his head looking down and lets out a harsh laugh.

"Just shut up, Levy" he says glancing up at him. Levy's eyebrows - as well as mine - go up at Carson's reply. He's usually not one to tell someone off. Which is strange considering he's not the type to be timid or the one who stands off to the side. He does, though, go along with the flow of things. Until now, that is. "Who cares if he likes Scarlett...or not" he starts, glancing at me to make sure he's not stating false facts. At least I think they're false; haven't given it much thought until someone said it out loud. "He obviously cares for her, though and we should be trying to support him"

Levy scoffs, a half grin plastering on his face as he shakes his head. "That's so rich coming from you, Carson" he states, pointing an accusing finger at him. "Because if I remember correctly, you were the one who was also laughing at her...calling her a freak"

"Yeah! And I know, now, that what we did was messed. We don't know her well enough to be talking about her like we do" Carson exasperates. His facial expressions a mixture of resentment and disgust toward Levy and regret, probably toward Scarlett.

The room falls eerily silent; everyone unsure of what say or do next. But all I know is that what happened today, what just happened, is going to change everything. I know it is. It got me thinking about the kind of feelings I'm developing for Scarlett. I want to neither deny or accept what my heart is telling me because, I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of commitment. I can't even make a decision about the many colleges waiting for an answer. What makes me think making a decision like this would be any easier?

✫✫✫