21

Scarlett

I'll admit it. I wasn't totally honest with Austin a few weeks ago. I mean, how can I? He already perceives me as someone I let people see me as. But in all honesty, I guess I haven't been truthful to myself either. When Carson 'introduced' himself to me, there was a part of me that felt hesitant. He wasn't exactly friendly to me the first time I've seen him. And for some reason, that bothered me.

This goes for everyone else too. To everyone who were whispering about Austin and I. All of a sudden I wasn't the Freak as everyone liked to call me. People were coming up to me asking about our date; others, were just saying hi. It wasn't the kind of attention I was used to and like I said, it bothered me.

"Scarlett?" I snap out of my daze and looked at Sheri. "Are you alright?" She asks with a bit of concern.

I shake my head and smiled. "Yeah, I...just spaced out for a bit," I say avoiding eye contact. I move over to the next table and started to wipe it down.

"Ok...well, how are things with you and Austin?"

I look at her with furrowed eyebrows and let out a small laugh. "We only had one date, Sheri," I say holding up a finger, "we're not exactly considered a 'couple' but to answer your question, we are good."

She nods her head with a knowing expression before clearing one of the tables herself. "You guys didn't plan a second date?"

"Nope. He actually didn't mention a second date," I tell her shaking my head. I actually do want one though. By now, I can admit to myself that I want to be more than friends with him. "And if we did plan another date, you would have known the second we planned it."

"True, but it's been weeks since your last date and I haven't heard anything other than he walks you to your class everyday."

"And hang out after school," I point out to her. He has also kissed me on the cheek and forehead several times, but I decided I can tell Sheri about that another time.

She looks at me incredulously and rolls her eyes. "That's besides the point, Scar," she says sighing, "you guys shouldn't take too long."

I nod my head before we both start cleaning again; Sheri had just closed up shop and we had to get things done. But I also couldn't help but think about what Sheri had said about us taking too long. I didn't think Austin and I were taking too much time were we? He hasn't said anything that would say otherwise. But then again, what do I know? I haven't had a boyfriend before.

After saying bye to Sheri, I headed for home and grinned excitedly when I saw that they were home.

"Hey Mom, Hey Dad," I greet as I enter the front door.

"Hey Scar," Mom pipes pulling me into a hug. "Hi kiddo," Dad greets messing up my hair. I scrunch my nose at him and fixed my hair before sitting down on the couch next to them.

"So how was your guys' day?" I ask.

"Same like any other day," Mom shrugs, to which dad just nods his head in agreement. I nod my along with them, figuring that's the best answer I'm going to get out of them. They never really explain how things are at work with me, but I know best than to push further on the subject.

"So did you hang out with Austin today?" Dad asks.

I send them a grin, but shook my head. I've been leaving them notes about Austin since our first date and by the notes they write back to me, I can tell that they have no problem with him so far.

"I was working at the Café today," I say.

"Will we be meeting him anytime soon?" Mom questions.

"Uh, I'm not sure. We've only had one date," I say unsurely. "Why?"

"Well you guys have been hanging out for a while and that's even before your first date with him," she says, "we want to meet the person you've been spending most of your time with for past couple of months." I give them a forced smile and nodded my head unsure of what I am supposed to say to that. She catches onto my silence and gives a reassuring smile. "It doesn't have to be soon. Just let us know when you're ready."

I pull both of my parents into a hug and relaxed into their embrace. "Thanks guys, I love you," I tell them pulling back.

"And we love you," Mom says. "You better get ready for bed, school tomorrow."

I said goodnight to both of them before doing what I was told and headed straight for bed where a curious thought came to mind. Have Austin's parents asked him about meeting me? As little as Austin tells me about his parents, he did tell me that he has told them about me, but hasn't told me if they liked it or not. I'm not even sure if he should meet my parents or not.

I guess the only way to know is ask him myself.

✫✫✫