11

Scarlett

Dear Journal,
A while back I wrote a small entry when I noticed how Austin seemed like he was hiding something. In response to that entry, I wanted to write that I now know what he was hiding. It surprised me to say the least, but it was also...comforting (I guess) to know that he likes hanging out with me. And yeah, he acts the way he does because he cares what other people say about him and it's not a valid excuse, but it's the fact that I discovered some kind of basis with him that I found comforting.

"You know, I'm really considering on burning that journal of yours so you could focus on the work at hand" Sheri amusedly accuses.

I roll my eyes smiling, putting my journal away. I grab my notepad and headed over to Mr. Arlo. He's an optimistic and lighthearted old man who comes in almost regularly. Sadly, his wife passed away about two-three years ago and his kids are all grown up and living elsewhere with a family of their own. Living in a small town I guess, is good for him since he's by himself.

"Hi Mr. Arlo, how are you doing today?" I ask.

He glances away from the small television playing in the corner of the Café to look at me. "Hello Scarlett," he says smiling, "I'm still alive and breathing, so I'm doing great! How about you?"

"I'm great, thank you! Are you getting your usual today?" I ask. I'm not even sure why I brought my notepad with me since I know what Mr. Arlo wants.

"Yes ma'am" he says enthusiastically.

"Ok, I'll be right back" I say smiling.

He turns his attention to the television again while I stalk off to the kitchen to prepare his regular. He gets an Americano and a chocolate drizzled croissant. After preparing everything, I put them on my tray and headed back to Mr. Arlo's table. As I make my way over, the sound of the bell above the door rings. I look up to see Austin walking through the doors putting his hands in his pockets while looking around the Café. His gaze meets mine and I give him a confused stare. I thought he said he hated it here.

Once at Mr. Arlo's table, I start to set his order in front of him. "Here you go Mr. Arlo. Hope you enjoy" I say giving him a smile.

"I always do!" He responds taking a sip of his drink. "Thank you"

I give him a nod and headed to where Austin was standing. "What're you doing here?" I ask him.

"I just knew you'd be here" he says shrugging his shoulders.

I give him a suspicious look, pursing my lips together. That's still not a rational reason as to why he's here. Giving him one more suspicious glance, I turn around and headed for the back counter to get the receipt ready for Mr. Arlo. Austin follows me suit, takes a seat and starts to tap his thumbs on the counter.

Sheri comes out of her office tying her hair into a lose bun. "Oh, hi Austin" she says quickly before continuing her task at hand; neither of us expecting Austin to say anything back considering the last time he was here. Sheri quickly grabs her notepad and pen before starting to attend the other tables.

"Hi Sheri" Austin replies back.

His response results in Sheri and I to abruptly stop what we were doing. I look at him in complete astonishment. Did he just...I look at Sheri to make sure I wasn't the only one who heard that. She looks at me with the same exact expression and a flash of relief flows through me. I thought I was hearing things. I look back at Austin who's staring at us like we've grown a head to two.

"Are you guys ok?" He asks uncertainly.

I snap out of my trance like state and nodded my head giving him a small smile. "Yeah" I say printing out Mr. Arlo's receipt. As shocking as it was, I liked what he did. I don't know if whatever that was, permanent, but once, somehow seemed satisfying. Sheri slowly but surely continues on her way to take her orders from the other tables. I give Mr. Arlo his receipt and headed back to the counter.

"So, what are you really doing here?" I ask him curiously. "I mean, you hate it here"

He nonchalantly shrugs his shoulders again putting on a smirk. "I can't just come to see you?"

I raise an accusing eyebrow at him rolling my eyes. This boy is completely unbelievable. I know he isn't here because of me or the Café. And I know he isn't here because of the interview. I actually haven't scheduled one in a while. I probably should though since I am absolutely no where with him.

I send him a cheeky smile while leaning over the counter. Our faces now inches apart. "Well now that you have, what now?" I ask trying to play along.

His eyebrows raise slightly in amusement. He leans in closer, catching me off guard. Our faces literally centimeters apart now. What's he doing? My heart starts to rapidly race and unbelievably loud that I'm afraid that our close proximity would result in him hearing it. His eyes soften as they stare right into mine, and I could have sworn that the side of his mouth twitched upward in a small smile. As fast as it came though, it vanishes, his usual demeanor returning. "You'll see" he whispers. It wasn't until he leaned back in his seat that I realized I was holding  my breath.

I stare at him blankly trying to calm my erratic heart rate. Austin just gives me triumphant smirk probably knowing what he had just done to me. What was that? I've never felt anything like that before in my life. I'm not even sure if I like that kind of feeling or not. And why did I feel it with him? Countless of unanswerable questions swirled around in mind like a raging tornado. But the one question that seemed to pose a greater significance is:

Will I feel that way again?

✫✫✫