Chapter 4

Katniss P.O.V.

Four months. That's how long I have left until the baby gets here. Each day, my determination to bring Peeta back gets stronger and stronger.

Haymitch has gotten tired of hearing my complaints. He says there's nothing we can do, but I won't take that for my answer. I know he's doing what he can, but it's not enough. It never will be until Coin decides to take action, and I know that she won't.

I feel like I'm stuck.

Even now, as I'm trying to force myself to eat lunch, I can't help but to think of what I can do to save Peeta. But it's no use.

"Katniss." I glance over to see Prim looking at me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I say as I shake my head. "Nothing new anyways."

Someone comes to stand on my left side, and I turn to see Gale standing there.

"I need you to come with me for a minute," he says.

My heart starts racing. "Why? Gale, what's going on?"

"I'll tell you. Come on." I turn to face Prim and give her the best smile I can manage for right now.

"I'll see you later. Okay?"

Prim nods her head, and I stand up and follow Gale. He leads me down the hallway to a room where Haymitch is standing up against the wall.

"Something's happened," I say.

"Before you get mad at me, just know that I wanted to tell you," Haymitch says.

"Tell me what?"

"Coin has received messages from the Capitol."

"What kind of messages?"

"Videos," Gale says. "Of Peeta."

"How many?" I ask.

Haymitch shrugs his shoulders. "Four that I know of. Probably more."

"And why didn't you tell me?" I ask, anger washing over me.

"Coin thought it would be best to keep you out of the loop for now," Haymitch tells me.

"And you listened to her?" I ask through gritted teeth. "Haymitch, you know I don't trust that woman. I know that you don't trust her. So why on Earth did you listen to her and keep this from me? Haymitch, I deserved to know."

"And that's why I'm telling you now."

"You should have told me sooner. You lied to me and said that you were doing everything you could do!"

"I know," Haymitch says calmly. "But I didn't keep it from you because Coin told me not to. I didn't tell you because I didn't think you should know right away."

"Why not?"

"Because I knew if I told you, you'd want to see them for yourself."

"And what would be wrong with that?" I ask him. Haymitch and Gale look at each other. "You're hiding something from me."

"At first, Peeta didn't look any different," Haymitch begins, "but he looks worse and worse in each one. 

"So what is it you need to talk to me about?" I ask. "Or is this it?"

"No," Haymitch says. "There's more. I think Coin's finally realized how important it is to get Peeta out as soon as possible."

"She's going to try to rescue him?" I ask hopefully.

"Yeah. But, first, she wants you to…"

"No," I say as I shake my head. "Our deal was that she rescues Peeta, then I help her."

"Look, Katniss, all Coin wants is for you to stand in front of a camera and talk," Haymitch says. "She did say that you'll be assigned a camera crew later on, but for now, it'll just be you, Coin, and a camera."

"Yeah. That's real comforting," I mumble. I take a deep breath and nod my head. "Okay, I'll do it. If this is what it will take to get Peeta back, then it's worth is. But Coin better stick to her promise."

"I'll make sure of it," Haymitch says sincerely.

"Thank you," I tell him.

"I'll let Coin know so she can start planning the rescue mission."

"Okay," I reply.

"I'll come get you when she's ready," Haymitch says. I nod my head, and he leaves the room.

"How long have you known all of this?" I ask Gale as I turn to face him.

"Since yesterday," he says.

"What is it with everyone keeping secrets from me?"

"I didn't tell you right away because Haymitch wanted me to tell you myself."

"How hard would it have been for you to tell me what Haymitch just told me?"

"He didn't exactly tell you everything," Gale says. I raise an eyebrow at him.

"What are you talking about?" I ask him. "Gale, what did Haymitch not tell me?"

"Peeta's life is in danger."

"Of course he's in danger, Gale. Snow has him."

"That's not what I meant, Katniss," he says. 

My heart feels like it's about to explode, and I start feeling sick to my stomach. "Gale, what aren't you telling me? What's going on?"

Gale opens his mouth to speak, but quickly closes it.

"I don't think I should give you any details right now," Gale tells me. "But just remember that you really need to cooperate with Coin."

I nod my head, and Gale walks off, leaving me alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you ready, Ms. Everdeen?" Coin asks as she sits down across from me at a small table.

"I think so," I reply. "And it's Mellark now."

She gives me a small smile. "Of course. Sorry."

"So what do I have to say?" I ask her.

"I just want you to answer a few questions for me. Okay?"

I nod and take a deep breath. "Yeah."

"Don't get nervous. It's just you and me."

That's what's making me nervous, I think to myself.

"I just have one question," I say. "If I do this for you, do I have your word that you'll do everything to rescue Peeta as soon as possible?"

Coin nods. "I'll make it my first priority."

"Thank you," I say, deciding to trust her on this for once.

"Alright. Let's get started."

My only motivation for this is the fact that Peeta's life is on the line. Coin mostly asks me about Snow's threats made to Peeta and I. About what we had to do to keep our families safe.

I'm thankful, yet shocked, when she doesn't ask the real personal questions. Do Peeta and I really love each other? Do we really want the baby, or did I get pregnant because I had to? That's nobody's business, and I'm glad she at least respects that.

I'm relieved once it's over with. I'm one step closer to getting my husband back.

"I have one more thing to ask from you," Coin says. "It's going to be the hardest for you to do."

"And that is?"

"Wait," she says. "I want you to go rest. Take care of yourself and the baby. Don't worry about anything until Peeta's back."

"You're right," I say. "That is the hardest thing you could ask me to do. But I'll try." I walk out of the room and take a deep breath.

"Daddy's coming home," I say as I rub my stomach. The relief I feel at that thought brings tears to my eyes. And when I fall asleep for the night, it's the best I've slept in months.