Chapter 8

I hope I did this chaoter justice!

Warning! I had MAJOR fangirl moments while writing this!!

Thanks crushcoal23 for the help

Katniss P.O.V.

"Katniss," Prim tells me softly. 

"Yeah?" I say as I look over at her.

"Mom said they need to take Peta off a couple of the machines so he can wake up," Prim tells me. "You'll need to wait outside."

I nod my head and slowly stand up. I feel so weak. I haven't left Peeta's side for two days. I've been carefully watching his chest move up and down, making sure he's still breathing.

I look at Mom and frown. "Will he be okay?"

"He'll be fine, Katniss," Mom tells me. "Why don't you go lay down? This might take a while depending on how his body reacts."

"What do you mean? What are you going to do to him?" I ask her worriedly. 

"Katniss, we're just going to take him off the medicine that's keeping him sedated, and we'll take him off the breathing machine too," Mom tells me calmly.

I nod my head. "I'll go wait in the hall."

"No," Mom says as she shakes her head. "Go lay down. Take a nap. This is going to take a while. You're pregnant, and you need to rest. I know you want to stay here with Peeta. I get that. But you can't be in the room anyways. There's nothing you can do."

"I'll go with you," Prim tells me. "So you won't be alone."

"Okay," I sigh, knowing I won't win this. Prim and I walk to my room, and I lay down on the bed.

"Are you okay?" Prim asks. 

I shrug my shoulders. "I think so. I just… I am so happy that Peeta's back, but I just thought I'd me more excited. Don't get me wrong, I love him more than anything. Peeta and this baby are my world. But I'm terrified that Peeta's going to wake up, and…"

"And what?" Prim asks after I'm silent for a while.

"Not be the same person," I say as tears form in my eyes. 

"Katniss, Peeta is going to be okay," Prim tells me. "Nothing's going to change him."

"We don't know what Snow did to Peeta," I say as the tears freely fall down my cheeks. I quickly wipe my tears away on my sleeve. "I'm sorry. I'll just be a lot better when Peeta wakes up and we know for sure that he's alright."

"Don't worry about it,"Prim says as she lays down beside of me. "I know it's hard to do, but there's nothing to worry about."

I nod my head, but I don't really believe her. And I won't until Peeta wakes up and I can hear his voice. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Katniss," Prim says as she shakes my shoulder. 

"Hm?" I say as I barely open one eye. I haven't slept much, but I've been pulled in and out of consciousness. 

"Mom said that you might want to get down to the hospital," Prim tells me. "Peeta's trying to wake up."

I quickly sit up, and get up out of bed. Prim walks with me down to the hpsital so I don't get lost. 

I can't get there fast enough. Peeta's waking up!

All the doubt from earlier leaves my mind as I now imagine what's about to happen. I'm going to see Peeta's eyes opened! I'm going to hear his voice and his laugh! Two things I though I'd never hear again. 

I get to the door and slowly open it. If I thought my hands were shaking before, it was nothing compared to this. When I step into the room, Mom looks over at me and gives me a sad smile. 

Peeta's sitting up at the edge of the bed, and staring at the wall. If he'd just turn his head to the left, he'd see me!

Mom doesn't say a word as she walks over to me and leans in close. 

"He still doesn't know you're alive," Mom whispers. "I didn't tell him any different. I figured he'd rather be surprised." I look at her and smile.

"Thank you," I whisper back.

Mom nods. "I'll give you two some time." She leaves the room, and I look back over at Peeta.

He's staring down at his folded hands. He looks lost. 

For a moment, I feel frozen in my spot. My feet feel like they're either made of lead, or glued to the floor.

Finally, after many tries, I find my voice.

"Peeta." It sounds real weak, but he hears it. It's like his whole body freezes. He doesn't move a muscle. Neither of us do for a few minutes.

I watch Peeta as he moves his head slowly to the left. Towards me!

When our eyes meet, Peeta looks as though he can't believe it.

"Katniss," Peeta says quietly as he tries to push himself off the bed. His arms shake beneath him, and I almost tell him to sit back down.

But once Peeta is standing, our feet can't stop moving towards each other. 

Before I know it, I have one arm wrapped around Peeta's back, while my free hand is laying on the back of his neck. Peeta has my face cupped between both of his hands, and we just stand there staring into each other's eyes. 

"Katniss?" Peeta says in a questioning tone. I nod my head and swallow hard. Peeta pulls my face to his and presses his lips to mine.

Peeta moves his hands around to my back. His fingers dig into my skin, but not enough to hurt me. Just enough to pull me closer to him.

When we pull back, we both have tears flowing down our face.

"You're okay," Peeta says as sobs wrack his body. "I-I thought you were dead!"

I shake my head. "I'm alive," I tell him. "We're both okay."

Peeta gives me a look. "We?" he asks.

I nod my head. "Me and the baby."

Peeta looks down between us to my growing belly, and a confused look crosses his face. He closes his eyes and shakes his head as if to clear it. Peeta then looks back up at me and smiles. 

"Are you okay?" I ask Peeta worriedly. He nods and quickly kisses me again.

"I love you," Peeta says softly. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Peeta."

Peeta's legs give out, and we fall to the floor while holding each other.

Gosh. He feels so frail. I can feel his body trembling with exhaustion. I can feel each knot in his spine against my hand that's pressed against his back, and I can clearly see his ribs through the thin hospital gown he's wearing. 

Neither of us move for a long time. We just hold each other and cry into each other's shoulder. Peeta kisses my neck every now and then, and I can't help but to smile

He's here.

Peeta.

My husband.

The father of my child.

He's finally back with us.