Chapter 19

Katniss P.O.V.

"Katniss?" Peeta says as he comes through the door. I look up at him and smile as I bounce Wyatt on my knee.

"Yeah?" He takes a deep breath and sits down beside of me.

"Tomorrow will be our last day of training."

I give him a look. "What are you talking about?"

"We leave for the Capitol in two days."

My heart drops and I immediately feel sick. "What?"

"I'm going to be okay."

I shake my head. "Did Coin just walk in there today and tell you?"

"No." Peeta swallows hard. "I knew about it since I've started training."

My eyes widen. "You what?"

"I'm sorry," he says. "I... I wanted so bad to tell you the other day, Katniss, but I couldn't because I knew you be upset."

"And I'm not upset now?" I say as unwanted tears fall down my face.

"Katniss, even Haymitch thought that I shouldn't tell you right away."

"And you listened to him?" I ask Peeta as I shake my head at him.

"I'm sorry," Peeta says as he pulls me close to him. "I should've told you. I should have. But I thought that if I didn't tell you, then Coin might possibly change her mind about it."

"How long will you be away from us?"

"As long as it takes to get the job done," he says. "You listen to me," Peeta says as he gently grabs my face with both of his hands. "This is my promise to you and the baby. I will get Snow."

"Don't do anything dumb. I know you want to get rid of Snow as much as I do, but I'm more worried about you staying alive and safe."

"I know," Peeta says. "I have a question to ask you about the baby, though."

"Okay," I say.

"If, for some reason, I'm not here when the baby is born, could we find out the gender before I leave?"

"Okay," I say as I nod my head at him.

"You don't have to know if you don't want to," Peeta tells me. "But I want to know."

Wyatt starts fussing, and I look at him to see him reaching out for Peeta.

"Are you wanting me to take you for a while?" Peeta asks Wyatt. Wyatt lets out a raspy giggle and points to Peeta.

"Dada."

"I'm not Daddy," Peeta tells Wyatt softly as he shakes his head. Peeta gently places a hand on my stomach. "I'm this baby's Daddy."

"Be-be."

"Yeah," Peeta says.

"If you want to watch him for a few minutes, I'll go find Mom to ask her if we can see the baby today."

Peeta smiles at me and nods his head. I lean over and kiss his lips before walking out of the room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't do that," I tell Wyatt as he pulls my hair. Peeta chuckles and lifts Wyatt up off the bed.

"You want to see the baby today too?"

What gasps and looks down at my stomach. "Be-be."

"Yeah," Peeta laughs.

Mom walks into the room and smiles at us. "I take it you want to know the gender."

"I want to know," Peeta says as he smiles down at me.