Chapter 9

Katniss P.O.V.

"Snow kept me in a cell by myself," Peeta tells me as he stares down at our intertwined fingers. "Every morning, a guard would come get me and take me to another room. They'd make sure I was sedated, so I don't know what they did to me. But if I tried to fight them, well…"

Peeta looks down at the bruises on his arms, and I understand what he means. I shift a little in my chair and frown.

Peea takes a deep breath and looks over at me. "I remember I'd wake back up in my cell, and they'd be back to get me the next morning. But one morning, I stopped fighting. It was the morning after Snow told me that you were dead."

Peeta's eyes fill with tears, and I squeeze his hand to let him know that I'm okay.

"I feel like I had nothing left to live for," Peeta tells me. "Except maybe my family, but I don't think they care about me anyways."

Tears spring to my eyes. He doesn't know.

"Peeta," I say quietly. "I… um… Yo-You're family didn't make it to 13." Peeta just stares at me for a moment before he swallows hard.

"Oh," he says quietly. Peeta looks down at the floor as tears fall down his cheeks. I reach over to wipe his tears away, and he looks at me.

"I know this might not help much, but you still have us," I tell Peeta as I take his hand in mine and lay it over on my stomach. When the baby kicks, Peeta's hand freezes, and he stares down at my stomach.

"I think the baby's missed you too," I tell him.

Peeta clears his throat, and looks back up at my face.

"How far along are you now?" he asks me.

"A little shy of six months," I reply. The door opens, and I look behind me to see Mom walk into the room.

"I just need to check his vitals," she tells us. I nod once, and turn my attention back to Peeta.

"Do you know if the baby is a boy or a girl yet?" Peeta asks me. I smile a little and shake my head.

"No. They don't have that kind of equipment here in 13," I tell him.

"Actually," Mom says slowly, "we do." I look over at her and raise an eyebrow.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" I ask.

Mom gives me a small smile. "If I had asked you if you wanted to see your baby on a screen for the first time without Peeta here with you, what would you have said?"

"No."

"Exacrly," Mom tells me. "So I didn't ask you because I didn't want to waste my breath. But, if you'd like to see the baby, that can be arranged for any time."

I excitedly look over at Peeta, and he nods.

"Yes. We'd like to see our baby," I say to Mom. "Once Peeta is released and back on his feet."

"That's fine," Mom says with a smile. "And if you decide you don't want to know the sex of the baby, that's okay too. You can still see them."

I look over at Peeta and smile. "I forgot to tell you, I absolutely love the nursery."

Peeta gives me a look. "The nursery?"

"Yeah," I say as I nod my head. "You set the nursery up and painted it before you left when the Games were supposed to start. I didn't know about it until a few weeks ago." I stop and notice the blank look on Peeta's face. "I also fond the letter you left me," I tell him. "I haven't read it yet, though."

Peeta nods, but I can tell he's a little confused. Mom looks over at me, and I just shrug my shoulders.

"Katniss, can I speak to you for a moment?" Mom asks me. I nod my head, and lean over to kiss Peeta.

"I'll be back in a minute," I tell him. Peeta nods, and I follow Mom out the door and into the hallway.

"What is going on with him, Mom?" I ask her. "He acts really confused about certain things, especially the baby. But then there's stuff that he remembers so well, like his time in the Capitol. He's been telling me about it all afternoon."

"I'm sure it's just a mild case of amnesia," Mom tries to assure me. "We'll run some tests on his brain in just to make sure there's no injury there. The equipment here is not the best, but it will wok for now."

I shake my head. "I'm just getting him back, and now you're telling me that there may be something wrong with his brain?"

"Katniss, calm down," Mom tells me calmly. "You have to remember that he's been through a lot. There's no telling what all Snow has done to him. I'm telling you, it's more than likely mild, memory loss."

"Okay," I say as I run a hand through my hair. I'd better get back in there to him." Mom nods her head, and I walk back into Peeta's room.

"Is everything okay?" Peeta asks as I take my seat beside his bed again.

"Yeah," I say with a smile as I take Peeta's hand. "As long as you're here, everything's perfect."