Chapter 11

Katniss P.O.V.

"Peeta, I can't do this," I say quietly as I turn to face him.

"You'll be fine, Katniss."

"Look at all of the cameras," I say as I feel panick rising in me.

"Don't focus on the cameras," Peeta tells me. "Focus on me. Look at me."

"Peeta, I don't even know these people."

"That's why Coin wanted you to get here a few minutes early so you can have time to introduce yourself to them." Peeta shifts his weight to his cane, and I frown at him.

"You should have just stayed and rested up," I tell him. "You're still really weak."

"I'm fine, Katniss," Peeta tells me as he kisses the top of my head. The door begins to open, and I take a deep breath.

"Here we go," I breathe out nervously. The baby begins to tumble inside of me, and I lay a hand on my stomach.

"I'm right here," Peeta says as he palces a hand on my lower back.

I watch as Coin walks in with Plutarch and four other people following them.

"Katniss," Coin says as she waves me over. Peeta takes my hand and has to literally drag me over to them. "Katniss, this is Cressida, Messalla, Castor, and Pollux," Coin says as she points to each person. I give them the best smile that I can manage and nod my head.

It doesn't take long for them to get everything situated where it needs to be, including me. I look over at Peeta, and he gives me a reassuring smile. I take a deep breath, but start shaking when I acknowledge the cameras pointed in my direction.

I can feel the bile begin to rise, and I know I need to act fast.

"Excuse me for a moment," I say before I make a straight line towards the door. Once I'm out in the hallway, I take off walking as fast as I can, wanting nothing more than to get away from there.

"Katniss?"

I turn to see Peeta walking towards me, slowly hobbling on his cane.

"What happened back there?"

I swallow hard and shake my head. "I… I don't know. I-I-I just p-panicked," I stutter.

"Come here," Peeta says as he holds out his free arm. I walk over to him, and he holds me as close to him as he can. "What are you so nervous about?"

"I can't stop thinking about what Snow might do if he sees this."

"What can he do, Katniss?" Peeta asks me. "I'm here. He can't hurt me."

"You don't know that, Peeta," I tell him. "We thought that a month and a half ago, and look what happened."

"Katniss, you promised Coin."

"I know."

"You can't back out, Katniss." Peeta tells me.

"I know," I say again. "I just… I can't lose you again, Peeta."

"Hey, I'm not going anywhere," he says quietly. "Listen, if you go back in there, I won't leave your side for a second."

"You promise?" I ask Peeta as I look up at him.

"I promise, Katniss."

I slowly nod my head. "Let's go get it over with." Peeta takes my hand and leads me back down the hallway. We walk back into the room, and I take my place again. Everybody but Peeta acts as if nothing's happened. He stands behind me with an arm wrapped around my waist. Nobody asks him to move, and I'm thankful for it. I couldn't get through this without him.

"Take a deep breath. You'll be fine," Peeta tells me. I nod my head and stare straight ahead at the camera.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"See. That wasn't so bad, was it?" Peeta asks me as we walk back towards then hospital.

"I guess not," I say as I shrug my shoulders. "I just wish you didn't have to go back to the hospital."

"I know," Peeta sighs. "It's just until I get my strength back."

I look up at him. "How are you feeling now?"

"I'm okay," Peeta tells me.

I smile at him. "Are you feeling up to seeing the baby?" I ask Peeta. A huge smile spreads across his face.

"Of course," he says.

"Okay. Let me go find Mom or Prim and let them know."

"I'll go with you," Peeta says as he shifts his weight.

"Are you sure?" I ask him worriedly. "You can go sit down until…"

"I'm fine," Peeta says quickly, cutting me off.

"Okay," I say as I nod my head. "But after this, I think we both need to rest for a while."

"Agreed," Peeta says. "But for now, lets go see our baby."

I smile at him excitedly and nod my head. "Yeah."

It doesn't take us long to find Mom, but I can tell right away that she's busy.

"Mom," I say as Peeta and I walk over to her. "We were wondering if we could see the baby today."

"Of course," Mom says as she smiles at us. "But you'll have to wait a little while. I have a mother who's about ready to deliver."

About that time, a loud, anguished cry comes from a room somewhere down the hallway.

"I've got to go," Mom says before she rushes off. My heart starts pounding, and I turn to face Peeta with a terrified look on my face.

"Are you okay?" Peeta asks me as he gives me a concerned look.

"I… Peeta, that's going to be me in a few months," I say as I lay a hand on my stomach.

"Katniss, don't worry about it," Peeta says as he wraps his free arm around my waist, his thumb rubbing up and down my side in small, soothing strokes. "You're going to be fine. It's going to be just like this morning, I'm not going to leave your side for a second."

Another scream echoes through the hallway, and Peeta starts to pull me away.

"Come on," Peeta says softly. "Let's go rest for a while." I nod my head and follow Peeta back to his hospital room so we can both relax.