Chapter 14

Katniss P.O.V.

Sleeping next to Peeta again has definitely helped us both get a good night's rest. Well, it would if not for the screaming baby who apparently has his days and nights mixed up.

Peeta and I have taken turns pacing the room with Wyatt, but we still can't get him to go to sleep. Peeta doesn't let me walk around very long because he'd rather me be resting, but I don't want him walking around very long because he still looks awfully weak.

As I watch Peeta carefully bounce Wyatt in his arms, I keep having the same thought over and over again.

I can't wait 'til that's our baby Peeta is holding.

"Katniss?" Peeta says, breaking my thoughts. I look up at him.

"Yeah?"

"Go on to sleep. I think he's about to give it up," Peeta tells me.

"I'm okay," I tell him. "Actually, I can take the baby again if you want me to."

"No. That's okay," Peeta says as he shakes his head at me. "You're already carrying one baby."

I smile at him. "I'm okay, Peeta. I promise."

Peeta holds his hand out for me to take, and he gently pulls me up off the bed. He places Wyatt in my arms and wraps his arms around my waist from the side of me.

"Remember," Peeta says softly to me in my ear. "Relax." I nod my head and take a deep breath.

"Here," Peeta says as he hands me a baby blanket. "See if this helps." I lightly wrap Wyatt up in the blanket, and he lays his head over onto my shoulder.

"You look comfortable, so why don't you go to sleep?" I ask him softly. Wyatt starts blabbering, and I widen my eyes. "Is that right? Are you trying to speak?"

"See?" Peeta says. "You were trying too hard while ago to get him to trust you."

"Okay. So you were right and I was wrong. So what?"

Peeta chuckles and presses his lips to my temple.

"I think you look so cute holding a baby."

"Whatever," I laugh as I roll my eyes at him. I look back down at Wyatt to see that he's almost asleep.

"Here. Let me take him again so you can go on to bed," Peeta says as he reaches for Wyatt. Wyatt whimpers and nestles even closer to me.

"No," Wyatt says. I laugh and look back over at Peeta.

"You heard that," I say to Peeta as I smile at him. He laughs and nods his head a little.

"What's the matter?" Peeta asks Wyatt softly as he reaches for him again.

Wyatt again shakes his head and then says something very unexpected.

"Mama."

I freeze and look back over at Peeta with wide eyes.

"No, Wyatt," I say weakly as I shake my head. "I'm not Momma."

"Mama," Wyatt says as he pats my shoulder once with his little, chubby hand.

"Take him. Take him. Take him. Take him," I say quickly over and over to Peeta as I shove Wyatt back into his arms.

Wyatt starts screaming to the top of his lungs and crying for me. I turn away and run a hand through my hair.

"Katniss?" Peeta says as he gently places his free hand onto my shoulder.

"Peeta, I am not that kid's mother, and you are not his dad," I say as I turn back around to face Peeta.

"Katniss, I know that," Peeta tells me softly. "Wyatt doesn't."

"But I do!" I say in a panicked tone as I throw my hands up into the air. "Peeta, that is someone else's child calling me their mother! I would be devastated if our baby were to ever call someone Momma who isn't me."

"Alright. Alright. Relax, please," Peeta says softly as he wraps his free arm around my waist and presses his lips gently to my left temple. "Wyatt doesn't have anybody else to call his mother, Katniss. He's and eighth month old baby who doesn't know any better."

"I know the difference, Peeta," I tell him. "I can't let him call me Momma without feeling guilty about it."

"Okay," Peeta says quietly. "But calm down first."

Wyatt is still crying and reaching out for me, so I reluctantly take him back into my arms.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly. "I know you don't know any better right now, but I'm not Momma."

Wyatt whimpers and roots his head against my shoulder.

"Mama."

I swallow hard and look back at Peeta.

"Its okay. It's okay," Peeta tells me calmly.

I nod my head, but I still don't feel right about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Katniss," Peeta says softly as he shakes my shoulder.

"What?" I mumble tiredly as I open my heavy eyes.

"Haymitch just came by. He said that Coin wants to meet with me."

I quickly sit up and raise and eyebrow at Peeta. "Just you?"

"Yeah," Peeta tells me as he nods his head.

My heart starts racing. "Why?"

"I don't know," Peeta says as he shrugs his shoulders a little.

"I'm going with you," I say as I try to get up out of bed.

"No," Peeta says as he gently pushes my shoulder back down. "You stay here. I just wanted to tell you where I'm at so you wouldn't wake up and panic."

"Okay," I say as I nod my head a little.

"I have to go, Katniss. I'll be right back." Peeta leans over and presses his lips to mine before leaving the room.

I take a deep breath and look over to check on Wyatt. He's still fast asleep, but the little one growing inside of me is wide awake.

"Good morning," I say as I lay a hand on my stomach. "I take it you slept good last night because you sure are active this morning."

Wyatt starts to whimper, so I gently pull him over onto my lap.

"You need to rest a little while longer," I say softly. "You didn't sleep very long at all last night."

"Mama."

"No. I'm not your Momma," I tell him calmly. "I'm this baby's Momma." I press Wyatt's little hand against my stomach, and his little eyes widen when the baby kicks.

"You feel the baby moving?" I ask him as I run a hand over his short, dark hair. Wyatt lets out a raspy laugh before shoving his fist into his mouth.

"Do those fingers taste good?"

"Mmm."

I laugh at Wyatt and shake my head. "I'll take that as either a yes or your way of telling me that you're hungry." I push myself up off the bed and pick Wyatt up.

"Let's get your diaper changed, and then I'll find you something to eat."

Once I get Wyatt changed into a dry diaper and fed, I walk around the room while bouncing him up and down in my arms, trying to keep him calm for a while.

"You are such a good, sweet baby boy," I tell Wyatt softly as he rests his head over onto my shoulder.

I hear the door open from behind me, and I turn to see Peeta walk back into the room with an unhappy expression on his face.

"What's wrong?" I ask Peeta immediately as I sit Wyatt down on the bed.

He looks at me and takes a big, deep breath.

"Sit down, Katniss," Peeta tells me softly as he motions over to the bed. "We need to talk."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have had a really traumatic week and I'm having a hard time dealing with some stuff so if anybody is available to talk right now please message me! I have absolutely no clue what to do right now.