Chapter 31

Thought I updated this chapter 4 days ago but it didn't work so here you go... 4 days late 😂

Katniss P.O.V.

I groan and roll over to my other side. All I want to do right now is sleep, but I just can't seem to shut my mind down. I look over at Peeta's side of the bed and try to imagine that he's laying there beside of me. I'm hoping that it will calm me enough to where I can doze off, but it only makes it worse.

It makes me wish that Peeta really was here. With his arms around me and my head resting on his chest.

I get up out of bed and start towards the door. I have to see how Peeta's doing. I'm halfway to the hospital when I practically run into Prim.

"I was just coming to get you," Prim tells me.

"Why? Has something happened?"

Prim quickly nods her head. "Peeta finally woke back up, but we had to sedate at him."

"I've been waiting for a week for Peeta to wake up. Why sedate him?"

"He was trying to pull out his I.V.s," Prim says. "Listen, the sedation won't last long, so if you want to see Peeta, then you'd better go now."

I nod my head, and Prim and I take off walking towards Peeta's room. When we get there, I open the door… and stop.

"Why are his hands tied down?"

"They had to restrain him in case he wakes up and starts pulling on his I.V. again."

"Untie him," I say.

Prim looks up at me. "Katniss, it's for Peeta's own good."

"It's hurting him," I say as I walk over to Peeta. I see the red marks on Peeta's wrists and frown. "They're too tight."

"The restraints have to be tight so Peeta can't easily slip his hands out," Mom tells me as she enters the room.

I turn to look at her. "Can I stay in here with him?"

"Until he wakes up," Mom tells me. "We'll leave you alone for a while." I nod my head, and Mom and Prim leave the room.

I sit down in the seat beside of Peeta's bed and take his right hand in mine.

"Hey," I say softly as tears fill my eyes. "I'm sorry I haven't been in here with you. Everybody keeps telling me that you could be dangerous to me, but I don't believe them. You'd never hurt me. I know that."

Peeta's hand flinches agaisnt mine, and I look over at him.

"Peeta?"

Of course, he doesn't answer. I know that I should probably take that as my cue to leave, but I don't.

"You've got to prove them wrong. When you wake up, you'll be the same Peeta that you always have been."

This time when Peeta's hand flinches agaisnt mine, he actually squeezes my hand. I gasp and lean over closer to him.

"Peeta?"

He takes a deep breath like he's not getting enough air, and he starts squeezing his fists so tight that I have to yank my hand out of his grasp before he breaks it.

I rush over to the door and see Prim standing out in the hallway.

"Go get Mom," I tell her. Prim rushes off, and I go back over to Peeta. I place my hand gently on Peeta's shoulder, and his eyes fly open.

Peeta starts breathing heavily as he fights against his restraints. He sits up as far as he can and starts trying to pull his arms free with a frustrated scream. Peeta doesn't even notice that I'm in the room until I place both of my hands on his shoulders.

He looks up at me, and his eyes widen when he sees me. I'm shocked to see that Peeta almost looks angry at me.

"Katniss, come on," I hear Haymitch say from behind me. I can't move. I just stand still and watch Peeta as he stares up at me.

Maybe Haymitch was right. Maybe Peeta won't ever the same.

Haymitch starts trying to pull me away, and I have to literally force my legs to move. Mom rushes into the room and shuts the door.  Once we're out in the hallway, I break down crying.

"What was that?" I ask Haymitch as I turn to face him.

He gives me a sad look. "I warned you that this could happen."

"You told me that he'd probably never be the same. You didn't tell me that he'd look so angry at me."

"Katniss…"

"He'll get better, won't he?" I ask desperately. Haymitch just looks at me. "This won't last forever, will it?"

Haymitch shrugs his shoulders. "I don't know what to tell you, Katniss."

"I can't live like that, Haymitch. Did you see how he was looking at me?"

I run a hand through my hair and take a deep breath.

"What am I supposed to do?" I ask Haymitch as tears fall down my face.

"It's going to take some time to see what's going to happen with Peeta."

"My world is literally falling apart," I say.

Mom comes out of Peeta's room, and I look over at her.

"Well?"

"I sedated him again."

"What good is that going to do?" I ask her. "He's never going to get better of you just keep sedating him." Mom just looks at me, and I shake my head.

"I need to be alone for a while," I say as I begin to walk off.

"Katniss," Prim says as she runs up to me. "I'll go with you."

I go to argue, but I quickly close my mouth when I remember what Gale told me about Prim being worried about me.

I give Prim a sad smile and nod my head.

"Okay."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh my gosh, guys!! I watched Mockingjay Part 2 all the way through in one sitting for the first time yesterday! 😂 Sad. I know. But I got sick the first time I watched it when it came out in theaters. Then Mom bought it for me for my birthday last year, and every time I'd try to watch it, I'd get sick. (I have absolutely no clue why) So I just never did watch it for a while.

But I made it through it last night finally. 😂

Anyways, leave some ideas please for both books if you have any.