Chapter 22

Katniss P.O.V.

I squint and look up at the sky to see that there's no sight of a rain cloud. We've been walking for well over and hour with no clue as to where we're supposed to be headed to or even why we landed here in the Capitol instead of District 2.

I'm starting to get really worried about the baby, and I'm losing hope. I'm just about to suggest that we find shelter when I hear a familiar voice call out.

"What are you doing here?"

I turn to see Gale walking towards us, and I relax a little.

"What are you doing here?" Gale asks me again.

"I don't know," I say. "Coin was supposed to be sending me to District Two, but the hovercraft dropped us off a few miles away."

Gale gives me a look. "You walked all that way?" I shrug my shoulders.

"We couldn't just stand there. It may not have been smart on my part because of the baby, but we had to."

"You'd better be glad that you didn't go any further. It gets more dangerous."

"What do you mean?"

"Don't worry about it," Gale says as he shakes his head at me. "Come on. Let's go inside." Gale turns and begins to walk towards a building that doesn't look very safe.

When I walk inside, Peeta's eyes widen when he sees me as he races over to me.

"Katniss, you shouldn't be here," Peeta says as he wraps his arms around me.

"I… um…" I look around at the crowd of people and the only other familiar face I see is Finnick. Everyone else just stares, and it is making me feel very uncomfortable.

"Can we go somewhere so we can talk?" I ask Peeta as I look up at him.

"Yeah," Peeta replies as he nods his head at me. "Come here."

Peeta leads me away from everybody and to a room that looks just as broken as the rest of the building.

"I'm serious, Katniss. You should not be here," Peeta says as he holds me out from him at arms length so he can look me over to make sure I'm not hurt.

"I know that," I say. "It's not my intentions to be here in the Capitol."

Peeta gives me a look. "Why are you here?"

"I don't know," I say as I shrug my shoulders a little bit. "Coin was supposed to be sending me to District Two, but the hovercraft dropped us off here in the Capiotl and then just left."

"Why were you going to District Two to begin with?"

I take a deep breath. "Coin wants proof of Snow's destruction throughout the Districts."

"Oh," Peeta says quietly.

We're both quiet for a moment before I decide to speak up again.

"Peeta, who's idea was it for you to come here to the Capitol?"

Peeta looks at me and lets out a deep sigh.

"Well, I guess if you're asking that question then you already know the answer."

"Coin told me that you begged her to be sent here," I tell Peeta. "We're you wanting to get away from me so bad that you begged her to let you go?"

"No, Katniss," Peeta says as he quickly shakes his head at me. "It's not like that."

"Then what is it like?" I ask him. "Peeta, it hurt me to see you leave me, and I didn't know if you'd make it to me alive or not. But to find out that you suggested it and then blamed Coin for it all when it was all you. I didn't want to believe it at first. I still don't."

"Katniss, please listen to me," Peeta begs as he takes both if my hands between both of his. "I didn't suggest this because I wanted to get away from you. Trust me. I love you too much. I did this for you."

I give him a look. "What do you mean? How did you do this for me when all it did is cause me to become upset?"

Peeta's eyes fill up with tears as he talks to me.

"Beause I know that I am not the same, Katniss, no matter how hard I pretend that I am. And even though you don't want to admit it just yet, you know it too. I can tell by the look that you get in your eyes.

"You want to believe as much as I do that nothing's changed, but it has. I couldn't stand to see the hurt in your eyes any longer when I forget something. I'd rather die fighting than make you live with me like that."

"Peeta Mellark, you listen closely," I say to him. "Nothing could hurt me more than if I lost you for good. Okay. So you're not exactly the same as you were a few months ago, but neither am I."

"This is different, Katniss."

"Is it really? Things could be worse. You could have completely forgotten me or not have even remembered who you are. But you didn't. So you have little moments that are a bit unclear to you as to what happened. That doesn't change who you are one little bit."

"See? You can say that, but you wait until I have to ask you a question that you think I should know the answer to. You wait until I have to ask you another question about the baby, or about our life together. That look will return."

"What look?" I ask him.

"You may not realize it,  but you always get this look in your eyes like you're disappointed in me. And it makes me feel so guilty because you deserve better than me, Katniss."

"Don't say that," I tell Peeta as I shake my head at him quickly. "I don't care what you think I deserve, but I can't get anyone who is better then you. No. You're not perfect. Nobody is. But to me you are."

"I couldn't help what Snow did to me, but what I can help is how this is all affecting you. I love you and the baby more than anything, Katniss. I promise I do."

"I know that."

"And I want you to be happy even if it means you're happy without me."

I cling to Peeta and shake my head.

"I don't know how to make you understand this, but I can't be happy without you right here by my side. And I'm sorry if I ever look like I'm dissapointed in you, because I'm not. I might get a look in my eyes, but it's hurt. Hurt for what you've had to endure and go through and put up with. Am I saying that I'll never be dissapointed in you for other reasons? No. Honestly, I'm a little dissapointed in you for not telling me the truth, but I understand why you did it that way."

Peeta gives me a look.

"You do?"

"Yeah," I repy. "Now quit arguing with me and just kiss me already."

Peeta chuckles before placing both of his hands on either of my cheeks. He tips his head down and crashes his lips onto mine.

"Gosh. I've missed you, I tell Peeta as I wrap my arms around his neck. He pulls back and smirks a little at me.

"I've missed you too." He places a gentle hand on my belly. "Both of you."