Chapter 17

Katniss P.O.V.

"Shh. Please quit crying," I whisper softly as I bounce Wyatt in my arms.

"Everything okay?"

I turn to see Mom standing in the doorway.

"Yeah," I sigh. "I do a lot better when Peeta is here to help me."

"Where is Peeta?"

I swallow hard. "He's training with the soldiers who are going to be sent out to the Captiol."

"Why?" Mom asks me. "Peeta's not strong enough…"

"Try telling Coin that," I mutter as I roll my eyes a little. "I tried to get her to change her mind, but Peeta talked me into giving it up for now."

"Are you okay?" Mom asks me quietly as she walks over to me.

"I honestly don't know," I answer truthfully as I mull the question over in my head for a few minutes.

Neither of us say anything for a few minutes, but then I remember that I was going to ask her something.

"Mom, I was wanting to ask you a question about Wyatt."

"That's actually what I came by to discuss."

"Have they found his parents?"

"No. Not yet," Mom says. "What I wanted to tell you is that I think there's a couple who is interested in adopting him."

"Oh," I say as my heart drops to my stomach. I mean, I'd be happy if the little guy could be reunited wth his parents. But if that's impossible, then I was sort of getting used to the idea of Peeta and I taking him in permanently.

"Now, what were you wanting to talk to me about?"

I give Mom my best smile and shake my head at her. "Nevermind."

"Okay," Mom says. "So would you consider it?"

I give her a look. "Would I consider what?"

"Adopting Wyatt."

"But I thought you said…"

"The couple I was talking about is you and Peeta."

"Oh," I say as a small smile spreads across my face. "That's actually what I was wanting to ask you about."

"Well, then that's settled. Of course, you'll have to wait a few more weeks before it can be official."

"Yeah, I understand. It would be great if they can find his parents."

"Listen. I know I wasn't exactly supportive at first with you having a baby because I thought you two were too young," Mom tells me quietly. "But I see how motherly you are to this baby who isn't even yours. Now I see that there was absolutely no reason for me to doubt you."

"Well, I'm glad you think so because I'm still terrified," I say. "I can't help but to ask myself 'how.'"

"Quit doubting yourself," Mom says. "I have to go back to the hospital for now, but you can get me if you need anything."

"Okay," I say as I nod my head at her. "I'll see you later, Mom."

She leaves the room, and I look at Wyatt to see that he's finally fallen asleep. I lay Wyatt back down in his cot, and sit down on the bed to wait for Peeta.

When Peeta finally comes walking through the door, I can tell he's exhausted.

"Are you okay?" I ask Peeta as he sits down beside of me on the bed.