Chapter 28

Katniss P.O.V.

"You need anything?"

I look up to see Gale standing in front of me.

"No," I tell him as I shake my head.

He looks around at the empty waiting room.

"You're alone."

I roll my eyes. "Thank you, captain obvious."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you alone?"

"Stop with the twenty questions," I tell him. "And I wanted to be left alone for a little while. Happy?"

"No," Gale says as he sits down in the chair beside of me. "You shouldn't be alone at a time like this."

"I want to be alone."

"But you shouldn't be."

"Why do you care, Gale?"

He gives me a look, and I quickly shake my head to clear it.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly. "I'm just really scared right now and I don't feel like talking."

We're bith quiet for a few minutes until Gale speaks up again.

"I think Peeta could tell that something bad was going to happen."

"What do you mean?"

"Just a few minutes before you showed up, he made me promise him that I'd watch out for you and the little one if anything were to happen to him."

My eyes widen. "He did?"

Gale nods his head. "It's a promise I intend to keep wether you like it or not. Katniss, I know you're married now, but I can't help it. I love you."

I swallow hard.

"I love you too," I tell Gale truthfully. "But not in the way that I love Peeta."

"Katniss…"

"I appreciate the fact that you want to look out for us, but just because my husband is injured does not mean that I'm going to come crawling to you looking for affection."

"Katniss…"

"No," I tell Gale as I shake my head. "Just stop talking. I don't need his to deal with right now. Mom's already suggested to me that I give the baby up, my husband is back there fighting for his life," I angirly stand up out of my chair, "and I don't need your nonsense to add to my growing list of problems." I go to walk away, but Gale quickly grabs me by the wrist. I try to pull away, but he will not let go of me.

"Let. Me. Go."

"Katniss, just let me talk."

"I've heard enough," I say. "I do not need you to protect me, I do not need you to make sure that I'm okay, but what I do need is for you to leave me alone."

"Katniss, just listen. I meant what I said. I'm just keeping a promise I made to Peeta. Nothing more. You believe what you want, but I can see how much he loves you. He wants nothing more than to make sure that you are okay. Not matter what you think, you DO need someone to make sure that you're taking care of yourself."

"No I don't."

Gale gives me a look. "Have you eaten today?"

I roll my eyes. "Okay. You've got a point."

"Look, if you want me to leave you alone, then I will." Gale lets my wrist go. "I didn't meant to make you think that…"

Before Gale can finish, the door opens again and I turn to see Prim standing there.