Chapter 12 Amass

Granny Telly and Fred kept feeding me. They were convinced I needed to eat sweets every five minutes so I wouldn't go hungry. I appreciated the thought but really, I didn't like eating not because I didn't like food but because I loved food. I smiled as I declined the treats. It would be a problem if I had too much sugary goodness.

Granny Telly and Justin Myles had bonded which meant that the former told us all about her nine other honeymoons and the boss listened attentively. Fred and I happily watched the two engage in animated conversation.

I enjoyed the happy chatter but wasn't all that gung-ho to join in. Most of the time I was looking out the plane windows watching the clouds pass by lost in thought.

"Emmeth?" Granny Telly said. She sat beside me and it felt nice - comfortable even. It was her smell. It was supposed to be the familiar scent of home - apples, bread and cinnamon but it was an unfamiliar scent to me. I've never had grandparents but I imagined she and Fred would've been similar.

"Yes?"

"He's a good boss" she told me whispering as she looked over at Justin Myles who was following along as Fred demonstrated how to throw a fishing rod properly.

"He's not that bad" I relented. "But that doesn't mean I like being his subordinate." Somehow, I felt like it was alright for me to speak my mind.

"Why?" She asked.

"It's the way he makes me feel and way he wants me to feel." I answered. "He's younger than me. He didn't finish college. But he's my boss. He wants to make me feel bad and I do but not directly from his actions but because of the reasons behind them."

"I used to be bullied a lot" I found myself reminiscing. "I'm used to people looking down on me and saying hurtful things to me. It's easy enough to just contain it all but just sometimes the dam breaks or it overflows."

"That's not healthy dear" Granny Telly said clicking her tongue. "You need to let it out. You need an outlet."

"But that means bothering other people."

"What's so bad about that?" She asked. "Awhile back, you spoke your true feelings to your boss. You seemed down when you said you were his secretary and he made an effort to deny it with all his might" she told me how she saw the previous introductions. "People are created to be there for each other. To make each other feel better."

"That's true" I agreed thinking of Damian and Candace - the only two people in the world who made me feel better.

"What's you dream?" Granny Telly wanted to know holding one of my hands in hers. Her hands were wrinkled and coarse. They were also warm.

"I had a dream" I said. "I wanted to be a doctor and save lives. It didn't work out in the end."

"Is that all you want to do?"

"I do want to save my sister" I instantly replied.

"What else?"

"Understand why some people hate me."

"Go on."

"Help my parents become better people and find something I want to devote my entire being."

"It sounds to me that you have plenty of dreams."

Granny Telly held my eyes and it was kind and encouraging. To her, the answers were simple. She was right. I did dream a lot. I wanted the people I loved to be happy.

"What are you talking about?" My boss asked. I spied Fred leaving to perhaps the comfort room

"We were talking about Emmeth's dreams" Granny Telly answered. "What about yours?"