Chapter 15 Companionship

I didn't want to be alone. But there was no Damian or Candace to stay with me tonight. They were still in the same country but miles away. When Granny Telly texted me saying she was waiting for me at the wedding reception, it felt like a drop of water to my thirsty soul.

I didn't allow myself to cry. I didn't have the right to. I heard my boss crying in his room not bothering to close his door when we got back to the hotel. I marveled why he hadn't thrown me out in the car or here. He didn't speak after I told him my truth and just drove us back to the hotel without a single word

I packed my things and hoped that Granny Telly can tell me where I could stay for tonight. I was also going to call the airlines to downgrade my ticket. I had to stop being a nuisance to my boss as soon as possible. I decided to do that starting now.

I left the hotel still hearing my boss sobbing hysterically. I asked a taxi to take me to the the address on my phone. It was easy enough to get to the reception which was a beautiful well lit and well decorated house with light music playing in the background. All around me were guests happy and celebrating. I didn't want to be a bother but I was doing it again.

"Emmeth, darling!" Granny Telly greeted me. She was all dressed up. Her curly hair was bundled behind her head and light make up was applied to her face. She was wearing a champagne dress with puffed up sleeves and two inch sandals.

I barely knew the old lady but I cherished her already. I wanted to run to her bosom and have her hug me tightly. But that would mean ruining her evening.

"Congratulations" I found myself saying. "Sorry, I forgot to bring a gift."

"That's fine!" She assured me then looking concerned when she saw my bag. "Where's Justin?"

"He's at the hotel resting."

I was so relieved I was able to say that naturally.

"I'm still looking for a place to stay" I decided to explain my baggage.

"Stay here!" Granny Telly offered in a heartbeat.

"I would love that" I admitted.

"Are you hungry?"

I shook my head. "I'm fine. I'll just stay around and watch if that's okay."

"Why watch when we can chat?" She asked winking and I let her lead me in.

The two brides were Sarah and Janine. I was glad they didn't mind me crashing their wedding. They were still in their wedding dresses. Sarah was in a longer dress that hugged her figure snugly with a long slit at one side while Janine was wearing an almost cocktail dress of a wedding gown - a halter that extended to her knees.

The brides didn't mind that I was staying the night either. They said some of their relatives were doing the same.

"Just stay away from the bridal room" Janine said suggestively making Sarah playfully slap her shoulder.

I listened in to the chatter finding reprieve in it momentarily. A text from my boss shattered that reprieve.

"Where are you?" He asked. I didn't reply. I didn't want to think about him but too late I already did.

Don't drink when your upset is the one advice we rarely listen to. I hid at a corner of the house, vodka in hand and drinking the alcohol. The burn was comforting.

After a couple of glasses, I was already tipsy. I didn't want to be too much trouble than I'm worth so I put my glass down. I shouldn't drink too much and bother my hosts.

I was sitting down on one of the sofas fanning my flushed face when I spotted him. My boss was scanning the house and I knew he was looking for me. He was one of those people who didn't look ugly after crying.