Chapter 25 Dissidence

Working for VInTech opened doors. I got a lot of job offers after I left. The problem was none of them felt like the right fit. I knew I had to go back to working one day but there was no offer that allured me. In the end, VInTech remained the one company I wanted to work for.

Perhaps, this was a forgone conclusion from the start. But I knew going back was not going to be easy.

Richard was the first one to make me feel his disapproval. He didn't say anything and that was the problem. His lack of support was proof enough that he didn't want me under his nephew again. I knew he probably had his reasons and so I tried confronting him.

All he said was, "Working means we won't be able to spend as much time together."

Richard was growing distant. Ever since Diane showed up at his doorstep, it was like he was somewhere else entirely even if he was in the same room. He needed time to organize whatever it was that troubled him. For now getting back on track at the company was my priority.

I told my decision to Justin the next day and I was at my apartment. I slept over at Richard's but he was gone the next morning. He left a note saying he had a lot of work at his office.

Justin usually video called me at night. Instead of waiting for that, I called him myself. It was eight in the morning so he was probably still at the palace playing with another video game.

He answered after five rings. "Good morning cute as a button Emmeth" he greeted me making me embarrassed he still remembered that mistake of mine. "What can I do for you this glorious morning?"

"Dropping the teasing would be nice" I proposed.

"When did I ever tease, my herbivore?" he asked feigning innocence no one would buy.

"Maybe I shouldn't go back after all" I purposely thought aloud.

"You're coming back?" was the excited response before he tried to sound cool. "I mean, of course you're coming back. If you don't, Junior will be swimming with the fishes."

"You're references are so outdated" I shook my head but a delighted smile was on my face. When was the last time I found Justin Myles more vexing than adorable?

"They're classics!" he told me. "I may be one of those effin millennial's but I pay my respects when its due."

"Censoring cursing is not you're style" I remarked.

"Fuck yeah!" was the agreement. "So, when can you start?"

"Wait a minute, cow boy" I found myself joining in the fun. "First, you have to lay your cards on the table."

"You're old position with a raise, minus the pain and a lot of work." Justin willingly provided. "Plus, the life of Junior. I'll even skip out on the doughnuts and the Yvette trainer privileges."

I rolled my eyes openly because it wasn't like my boss would know.

"Don't roll you're eyes at me" he said like a psychic clicking his tongue. "Herbivores have to be docile or the lion is going to stop playing nice kitty."

I took a deep breath finally finding some inner peace. Getting my job back felt like the right thing to do. "When do I start?" I reverted the question back

"A-S-A-P" was the reply. "Come by the office tomorrow and we'll sign the contract."

"Great", was exactly what I was feeling.

"How long have you been gone?" I was asked and I could picture the smirk in there. "You resigned for less than a month since you left at the end of October and it's almost my birthday."