Chapter 19 Flawless

The morning after getting kissed by two unlikely people, I found myself not wanting to move from the comfort of my bed. The decrease in the temperature made the warmth of my bed a blissful repose. My fingers grazed over my lips in recollection.

My old boss was being his usual bratty self and I found that endearing now. Perhaps the trip to meet my parents had made me see past the selfishness to see someone who never had a chance to have a regular childhood. Perhaps Justin Myles just never grew up. His kiss was obviously one done in drunken jest.

The next person to kiss me was almost the polar opposite of my boss. They were similar in their desire to protect the people they love and even had a similar foundation for their desires. However, Richard King was far from a boy who never grew up and more of a man with a mission.

Richard was calm and collected even when his nephew was being a brat. He only ever gets angry or cold but never hysterical. He was a mature adult in that sense and a lot more guarded than I was. He had a romantic side to him though to be perfectly honest as well as experience on his side. His kiss was rough, impatient and beguiling. Unlike his nephew, he wanted to get in my pants.

I don't really know why I was comparing the two as I got up from my bed. More than them, I had to concern myself with my own troubles. My parents haven't contacted me yet and I was currently unemployed. I did have ample savings especially when Justin took over Candace's hospital bills but I was never much of a bum. I was starting to feel that maybe my old boss had been right and I would die without work.

I was prepping some cereal for breakfast when the doorbell rang. I wasn't expecting anyone as I made my way to the door. I was wearing a loose shirt and boxers shuffling bare feet. I opened the door to see a business smile flash my way.

"Mr. Phillips?" the man asked. He was wearing a uniform from some flower company and a cap over his messy mop of hair. He looked like your average hard working dad. I spotted the abundant number of lilies he was surrounded with instantaneously.

"That's me" I said.

"Flowers from a Mr. Richard King" I was told landing a grim line on my lips. Richard had to have someone tell him the meaning of too much flowers, I thought to myself as I signed for the delivery and allowed the deliveryman to fill my apartment with lilies. The bouquet I was given just yesterday was still good as new in a vase on my kitchen island.

"Was there a message?" I asked the deliveryman after he finished his task. He shook his head as he made his way out.

"No, sir. Mr. King said no cards and no messages."

I thanked the deliveryman and found myself sighing at the growing enigma that is Richard King. He had these strange restrictions he followed. He sent a lot of flowers but no card or message. He wears expensive clothes but he made sure to keep his car inconspicuous. He loves his nephew but he doesn't mind making said nephew bothered. He once publicly humiliated me then suddenly he wants to get into my pants.

Looking at the lilies made me remember the heated kiss just last night. I thought that maybe these were another apology. I seem to have caught him off guard when I mentioned the four letter word - L.O.V.E. and he looked extremely troubled like I just told him something forbidden.

Perhaps, Richard King did romance. But he didn't do so with love in mind.

Whatever the case, he needed to up his game big time. It's often good advice to let the other party stew for at least twenty four hours before going all gung-ho again. I knew he chased after his first love and someone had to tell him that such persistence didn't work.

I finished breakfast soon after that and began calling up my parents' acquaintances again. Someone had to know where they had gone. My parents were flashy in their ways and easy to spot in the small crowd they associated themselves.