Chapter 60 Incremental

Damian and I were back on the road. But we were stuck in traffic. We were more at peace with that than the other motorists. The others loudly slammed their horns impatiently with futility.

Supposedly, the pile up was a result of a collision further on at the highway. Fortunately, other than the car themselves, there were no reported injuries or casualties. Damian and I heard everything from the tuned down radio that played country music in between infomercials and traffic news.

With not much to do in the car, I told Damian all that occurred since I last contacted him. He was listening attentively stopping me only when he needed clarification. The music helped fill in the silence whenever it appeared during the conversation. I got the luck to be the first person to congratulate him with his fellowship at the hospital. He returned the favor with listening to my rant that seem to go on for at least an hour.

"You're practically already dating your boss" my best friend told me as he forwarded the car by an inch. "Is there any reason your still stalling?"

"I wish I could be certain that I'm just stalling" I admitted as I looked out at the traffic with a frown. "I don't want to make any more mistakes, Damian - if I can help it. I thought that I just needed time. But when I heard Richard's voice, I realized that my unfinished business wasn't that easy to resolve."

"Your still holding a torch for the ceo?" Damian disapproved. "Even though he hurt you? Almost made you mental or dead."

I fell silent and it seemed to be a confirmation. A pang of guilt tugged at my chest as I fiddled with my phone. 'His majesty' was on the contact screen and I was debating whether to call him, or text him, or not inform him that I've safely arrived back home.

"I think the answer is pretty obvious though." Damian said as he tapped the side of the steering wheel with his fingers.

"It hasn't been that long since I broke up with Richard" I weakly protested the subtle judging tone of my friend.

"I don't really think he should even be an option at this point" Damian told me. "He cheated on you. He didn't even sound nice when he wasn't banging your boss's ex girlfriend. He sounds like a control freak with a superiority complex most of the time. As much as I am uneasy at the fact that you dating a reckless kid, he's got my vote."

The mention of my boss made me smile automatically. I still couldn't bring myself to contact my boss with all things considered - leaving without a word and our last exchange. But just the thought of him brought humor to the lines on my face. I placed my phone on the dashboard and fiddled with the necklace Justin gave me instead wondering what my child king was doing.

"He's young" I agreed before completely disagreeing. "But after all that's happened, his age is just a number really. He's shown me how patient and understanding he could be. He holds himself with pride and unrelenting strength even when he carries the weights of the world on his shoulders. I mean he's still childish and likes to joke around but... but he's sweet."

"As I said, you sound infatuated already. I'm actually impressed you're so dense."

"Look, I'm not saying that I want to get back with Richard" I renounced with a huff. "I just think that there are still some things between him and I that I need to resolve."

"Such as?" Damian was piqued but skeptical. "You gave him an ultimatum he didn't accept. You've talked to him more than enough in my opinion."

"Did we really talk?" I asked my past self. "All I did back then was keep rubbing the cheating on his face. Also, I was too hurt back then so I was probably more incoherent than usual."

"More than usual, huh?" Damian repeated before teasing me. "I guess that is more incoherent than usual."

"Oh, shut up" I shook my head at him.