Chapter 50 Undefined

Rebecca Brown could do no wrong. Tonight was my first time meeting her but I knew this to be true. She was a very rare creature.

Most of the time, a person's beauty decreased rather than increased as you peeled off the layers of their personality. But she was different. She was kind, endearing, and very close to the ideal woman. She and Justin had a lot of catching up to do and as I listened to her – the more this became evident.

Rebecca was a graduate of the London School of Economics. She was pursuing her doctorate. She managed many affairs of the lady boss and she had the keen business sense needed to do that. She was a humanitarian and the epitome of a lady. She had everyone at the restaurant mesmerized with her voice that was like a calm stream.

Justin interacted with her like a good friend. He was as chatty and charming as always carrying the conversation fluidly. He and she had history but that didn't seem to hang over their heads. In fact, as they stood comfortably against the impressive view afforded by the Eiffel tower, the two of them were picture perfect.

I tried to fade into the background as I stood there beside them. We were by the bar having a couple of drinks. We were early so we had to wait for the lady boss. Rebecca informed Justin and I that the lady boss would be arriving soon.

"That's impressive" Rebecca praised me. "You're so young and yet you've accomplished a lot."

My boss was being gungho in keeping me in the conversation against my best efforts otherwise. He was proudly talking about me like a show dog. I was flattered but at the same time I felt like my long list of so-called accomplishment paled in comparison to the lady before me.

"I think your more impressive" I told Rebecca. "You're not that much younger than me but you seem to have it all figured out."

"That's not the case at all" Rebecca clarified. "I'm just trying my hardest. Grandmother always told me that great effort would always be rewarded."

"You and your grandmother sound close" I observed from the many times she referenced the lady boss.

"Way too close in my opinion" Justin provided. "The old coot doesn't have the words freedom and free will in her dictionary. She has you by a short lease."

"That's not true" Rebecca said shaking her head. "Grandmother has always been kind to me. For all that she's done for me, I can never repay her."

The way she talked had me remembering that way I talked about my parents. She and I did have similar circumstances in this regard. We were both orphans. Her grandmother was probably her adoptive mother and father like the Philip's were to me except in her case the blood relation remained. 

My mind was harrowed so I couldn't truly appreciate the colorful cocktail in my hand. Something about Rebecca made me feel unwelcomed. It wasn't her per say as she was completely polite. It was her presence itself that concerned me. She was my boss's first love and a part of his life I had no reason to know. She also reminded me of my old self.

"Are you okay?" My boss asked as soon Rebecca left for the ladies' room. "Are you tired? You seem less than chipper."

"It's funny how I wanted to see you but now that I'm here I just want to go home" was how I answered him.

"Why?"

"Because I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing here. If this had been a normal business meeting I would be looking over the materials with no problem. This seems more like your personal matter though. I feel like I'm only cock blocking you."

"Cock blocking?" Justin found my sentiment funny. "Trust me, herbivore that is a herculean task when it comes to me. I get laid when I want to get laid."