Chapter 23 Allusion

I was making dinner for two again but not at my own apartment. I was using Richard's kitchen. I had to do the shopping myself since he warned me that he didn't cook - he was right. All he had was water.

If someone had told me I'd be dating Richard King, I would've looked at them with an arched brow and a stern expression. I wasn't blind so I was aware he was hot. But there was just no way the dark brooding ceo would look my way given the tumultuous beginning of our association or that was my assumption.

I had heard a similar theory before though. Liking someone and hating someone supposedly had a thin line separating the two. Hating someone meant they were on your mind a lot and that was no different from having someone you like.

I was making steak. The secret as I've come to learn is to make sure the meat doesn't dry, don't burn the butter, and keep it medium rare. I made a bed of potatoes and tomatoes with herbs and cooked the meat atop them to accomplish this, add the butter after the meat has been placed on the pan, remembering to sear the meat properly and not more than a few minutes each side.

Tonight was special. I decided to come clean to Richard. I learned my lesson with Justin. I became terrified without consulting the person in question. Diane's threats only had as much weight as I allowed them to. I guess my decision to stop living inside my head and trying to solve everything by myself was a sign of growth. Maybe all the lectures my former boss gave me had affected me.

The only problem with my resolve was Richard's reaction. We've been taking it slow for these couple of days. We went out on dates and tried to get to know each other better without rushing it. We've made out more times than I can count but we've never gotten as burning hot as my night of weakness.

Richard had made sure to shower me with gifts as of late from an expensive watch to a brand new phone and took me out on fancy dinners. But those were his ingrained suave working and not his true feelings. I appreciated the gifts but they weren't concrete proof of anything except that he was rich. The true test of a relationship is building it on trust and honesty. I still didn't know how Richard would react to all the revelations I decided to tell him tonight but this was the first step if we were ever going to get serious.

Speaking of getting hot, the steak was done. I took it out of the fire and let it rest first. I was getting used to being intimate with Richard. His tantalizing kisses were more or less better reciprocated as I learned the ropes along the way.

My phone vibrated. It was a video call making me smile fondly at that name. It was my previous boss using, "His majesty". He noted the time I slipped up and called him a child king. These video calls were part of his method to get me back.

It was a daily update on his hostage taking situation. He's been making these video calls since the last time we met. So far, I've learned so much about Junior than I ever thought I would be interested in knowing. The baby Venus flytrap had grown on me.

"Sup" Justin greeted the phone just far enough for me to see he was at home in his bedroom. As usual, he was wearing adorable sleepwear. This time it was a bunny complete with the long ears and fluffy slippers.

"As you can see" he said walking the camera until he showed me proof of life. "Junior is starting to look bigger. Soon, he should be able to handle the pre-freezed blood worms without grinding it. Good thing too, Tina was pissed when I stole one of the coffee grinders. But what was I supposed to do? Actually chew the blood worms like a mother bird? Disgusting. I do wonder how it taste sometimes."

Junior was one of the luckiest hostages alive. He was at the veranda of the palace meaning he had one of the best views of the stars at night. Justin told me he chose the palace which was far from the city just for the sake of that view and it made sense. The millions of stars overhead was amazingly beautiful even though I was seeing it from a phone screen and shaky camera direction provided by the child king.