Part 21- flashback part two

Flashback: Aubrey POV

He was a child abuser, defiantly.

He was a sexual abuser, check.

A rapist, possibly.

A psychopathic, sadist. Sure of it.

The vivid memory of the belt coming down on the small girl hunched on the floor was embedded in my mind as I stood unable to move.

I had to do something.

I couldn't just stand by and watch them being tortured. I could call the police, but I couldn't possibly put the girl's life in danger, what if he killed them at the noise of the sirens? I had to think of something fast. I looked out into the backyard it looked like the landscaping hadn't been done for years, but eventually, my eyes caught the shape of a wooden door connected to the fence. I ran towards the fence quietly, and efficiently trying to avoid most of the big vines. Once I reached it I noticed that there was a lock on the door, I turned on the phone and used the dull brightness of the front screen to look at the lock clearly, the actual flash light would have drawn too much attention so this would have to do. As I inspected the rust forming on the cheap metal a thought made its way into my mind, for a person to be in this situation I was really calm, maybe it was the questioning fact that the shock and the panic hadn't quite settled in or the fact that I was for once thinking rationally that the only way I could only get out of this efficiently was if I was calm. My life wasn't the only one on the line, I was responsible for the three girls held captive in the house.

I looked back at the lock and took a deep breath. 'I can do this.' The lock required 4 numbers. I did the first combination I could think of.

1234.

The lock clicked open and I sighed in relief, for once I wasn't complaining about James idiotic and limited mind.

I pocketed the lock and opened the wooden door, Behind the door were trees and a track that looked like it headed towards a ravine. before I could inspect any further I heard my name being shouted in the distance. 'Oh no!' I mentally screamed, he had found out I wasn't in the car. I quickly ran to the side of the house just in case he came to the back to find me, then I would be hidden. He called out three more times and my paranoia kept inching higher and higher because I was beginning to feel like his voice was getting closer. I felt my heart rate execrate, I was beginning to run scenarios in my mind about how he would catch me and all of this would be over. I started to concentrate on my breathing because it was really getting out of hand. I peeked through the fence that was connected to the side of the house and I had a clear view of his jeep. He stood right in front of it running his hands through his hair. James took out his phone and it looked like he was dialing someone. The phone in my hand lit up and I backed away from the fence just in case he saw the light. Thank god I had it on silent or else I would be screwed. I declined the call and as soon as I did that I got a text from him.

'Where are you?'

As soon as he sent me that message I knew how I was going to get the girls out and get out of here alive.

'I called you, but you didn't answer so I thought you might have gotten caught up in something and I didn't want to bother you so I thought I would walk and call Uber or something?'

I had to make this story believable otherwise it wasn't going to work. And I did call him once so there was some truth to my words.

'OMG Aubrey, are you serious right now? It's the middle of the night and you're venturing out on your own. You know this is a dangerous neighborhood there could be a kidnapper or a rapist on the loose, there are you alright? I'm sorry I took so long and didn't reply to you. I couldn't find my file, But tell me where you are so I can come get you. And why aren't you picking up the phone?