Six

“ALWAYS REMEMBER: The greatest gift you ever own is not found in the shops or under your Christmas tree. It is found in the hearts of your family and your true friends.” - Unknown

Not long after they left the Salvatore boarding house, Miranda and Grayson met them in the car park. “Will you be staying with us, Elena?” Miranda questioned, her manicured nails running through her light brown hair.

“If that isn’t a problem” she responded, looking at her mother with her pleading brown doe eyes.

Miranda took a second to think before she answered, “Why would it be a problem, Elena dear? You’re my daughter and I love you”

“Thanks mom” Elena replied, heading towards her temporary car which Grayson had lent her. It was a blue 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser and it was parked in the very large driveway outside the Salvatore boarding house.

Grayson groaned as he carried several of the many bags of his step-daughter up the spiral staircase. Miranda followed behind carrying one of the bags as well, she didn’t want to carry too many in case she might break her nails. Elena and Klaus were both ahead of them carrying the remaining bags, both Klaus’ and Elena’s, arriving to the top of the staircase.

They all dropped the bags at the top of the stairs, and turned to look at each other. After a few moments of silence Klaus spoke up, “Thank you for having me,” he said, looking at both Grayson and Miranda before flickering his gaze back to Elena again.

“Nonsense, it’s wonderful to finally meet you. Although, technically I never even knew you existed,” Miranda spoke, earning a glare from both Elena and Grayson at her remark. She quickly recovered, “I love surprises.”

“Where’s Klaus sleeping?” Elena asked her parents before turning her head to face a confused Klaus so she explained, “My mother has this rule about men and women sharing a room when there’s no ring involved.”

“Don’t be silly,” Miranda replied, smiling at her daughter.

“What?” Elena asked, cocking her eyebrow at her mother. “Who are you and what have you done with my mother?” Elena thought to herself.

“I’m not as small town as my daughter seems to think” Miranda leaned in to tell Klaus.

Elena was pottering around her old bedroom as Klaus placed all the bags on the floor beside the king-size bed. “I’m sorry about the wallpaper, I went through a floral phrase back in high school,” she explained, still walking around the room. He chuckled at her and began to unpack his bags.

She did the same until she was interrupted by a boisterous shout coming from downstairs, “ELENA?! WHERE ARE YOU?!”

Elena smiled, instantly recognising the voice as her ‘baby’ brother Jeremy. Well, he wasn’t exactly a baby, he was only two years younger than her but he acted much older than her when it came to him being all protective of his sister.

Elena headed out of her room and down the stairs, being extra careful not to fall down them. She spotted her brother poking his head about the fridge as she descended towards the kitchen. He pulled what looked to be a can of Pepsi out of the fridge before he turned to face her.

“Lena!” he smiled, instantly tackling her in a hug.

“Hey Jer” she grinned back at him. He hesitantly pulled away from the hug after a few moments, giving Elena a chance to take a good look at her brother for the first time in what seemed like ages. His dark brown eyes glistened in the sunlight as he looked at his big sister whilst his dark brown hair shone, reflecting the light, barely settling on each strand. He was wearing a pair of dark denim jeans, a black and white chequered button-up shirt with the top two buttons undone and a pair of black vans.