Sept

“I can trust my friends. These people force me to examine myself, encourage me to grow.” – Cher

 -----------------------------

The three girls sat in one of the booths inside the Mystic Grill. They were laughing and reminiscing about old times.

“I love what you’ve done with your hair,” Caroline commented Elena, lifting the ends of the brunette's hair as if to emphasize her point.

“Thanks,” Elena smiled as Caroline withdrew her hand from the brunette's hair.

“I mean it’s great that you let it grow out-,” she continued before Bonnie butted in, stopping Caroline from rambling on. 

“So how’s the wedding preparations going, Caroline?”

“They’re going great but the only problem is that Stefan’s dad isn’t able to arrive until late the night before the wedding,” Caroline frowned but Elena was happy that she wasn’t the subject of conversation anymore. She made a mental note to thank Bonnie later.

“Giuseppe?” she questioned. She hadn’t heard from him since before she picked up her bags and left Mystic Falls. Giuseppe was like a father-figure to her during her relationship with Damon but once that relationship crashed and burned, she had no reason to contact him for advice or just for a friendly chat.

“Yep,” Caroline replied, popping the ‘p’

They saw in silence for a few moments before Elena decided to intervene.

“Did you know that the first time I met Stefan, I thought he was gay?” Elena told her two best friends, the girls all burst out laughing.

“What? How?” Caroline asked between giggles

“It was around the first time that Damon properly introduced me to his family,” she explained

It was the first time that she had ever been introduced to Damon’s family. His mother, Mary, had organized a family dinner to welcome Elena into the family. Giuseppe wasn’t exactly happy about his son’s relationship but he tried to keep it to himself.

Once the table had been set and everything was ready, Stefan waltzed into the room and commented, “Well, don’t we look nice all dressed up?” 

Elena and Damon arrived, shortly after. “Sorry we’re late. Traffic was a bitch,” Damon explained, walking towards his mother and before he pulled her in for a hug. He was hiding the real reason to why they were late.

“Damon, watch your tongue,” Mary snapped at her son, hitting him lightly on the arm with a dish towel.

“Sorry mother,” he smirked

“Elena, this is my mother, Mary, mother this is my girlfriend, Elena,” he smiled, gesturing between them both

“It’s nice to meet you, Mrs Salvatore,” Elena smiled at the older woman

“And you too...Oh Elena dear, call me Mary,” she replied, giving the younger girl a kind smile

“Hello brother, are you going to keep lurking in the shadows or are you going to come over here and introduce yourself to Elena?” he smirked at his brother

Stefan came towards him and pulled him in for a brotherly hug before he turned to Elena, “I see you must be the lovely Elena, my brother has told me many things about you,” he smiled, kissing her hand. Damon rolled his eyes at his brother’s antics, Stefan always had this thing were he’d need to be the ‘better’ brother, of course Damon didn’t mind as long as he was the ‘hotter’ and ‘sexier’ Salvatore.