Neuf

Loud banging is what the Gilbert household awoke to the next day. Caroline stood outside, tapping her right foot impatiently while ringing the doorbell and thumping the front door of the Gilbert house repeatedly. Choruses of ‘go away’ and ‘shut up’ were heard throughout the house but that didn’t deter Caroline. If anything, it urged her to continue. Caroline wasn’t one to give up.

Eventually after five minutes of repeated banging, Katherine stormed down the stairs and threw the door wide open.

“What?” she croaked her throat still dry and laced with sleep. Caroline was appalled at the brunette’s appearance, from her frumpy Minnie Mouse pyjamas to the bun on the top of her head which gave off the impression that she was dragged through a bush backwards.

“I need you all to help me,” Caroline replied, pushing past Katherine and headed towards the kitchen. Katherine rolled her eyes and muttered something colourful under her breath as she slammed the door behind the overly perky blonde.

“Is anyone up yet?” Caroline asked, looking around the room as if someone were to magically appear from thin air.

“Nope,” she answered, moving past the blonde to put the kettle on.

“When will they be getting up?” the blonde examined her Rolex watch, a present from her soon-to-be husband on their second anniversary.

“How am I supposed to know?!”

“What’s going on down here?” Elena asked, walking down the stairs with Jeremy and Rebekah not too far behind her, all in similar attire as Katherine.

“Hey Lena,” Caroline chirped

“Care? What are you doing here?” Elena yawned, lifting a few mugs from the cupboard behind her twin. She sat them on the worktop and began rummaging through the cupboards for the coffee granules and tea bags.

“Like I said to your ‘oh so pleasant’ twin, I need your help”

Ten minutes later, everyone minus Bonnie were sitting around the kitchen, all in their pyjamas with the exception of Caroline.

“Do you think we should wake her up?” Rebekah asked Elena, signalling towards Bonnie

“Here, I’ll do it. Hold my mug,” she said, handing Rebekah her mug of coffee.

Elena walked over to Bonnie who was stretched out on the sofa, still fast asleep. Elena tapped her lightly on the shoulder with her foot and kept doing so until she gave up and decided to try something else.

“Dad,” Elena called. He followed her into the living room and looking at her, expectantly.

“Yes?”

“Do you still have that air horn?”

He looked bewildered, “Yes, but why would you need it?”

“If you can get it for me, I’ll show you”

He followed her orders and she could hear his slipper-covered feet drag out the door towards the garage.

Grayson re-entered the house and handed the air horn to Elena. Elena warned everyone to cover their ears as she pushed her finger down on the button. A loud blaring noise came out of it and Bonnie fell off the sofa. Bonnie was awake and screaming, so Elena took her finger off the button. Her job was done.

“What was that for?!” Bonnie screamed, rubbing her eardrums dramatically.

“You wouldn’t wake up,” Katherine replied, appearing beside her double.

“And you couldn’t have shook me?!”

“We did,” Elena butted in as Rebekah handed her back her coffee.