Chapter 7

Talia has been acting weird ever since me and Parker became "friends".

"Hey." I yelled. I motioned her over to where Parker and I were sitting.

"Hey." She mumbled, looking down at her feet. She walked past me and sat next to Parker. I smirked. "What's been up with you lately? You're kinda out of it." I asked, dropping my sandwich on the tray. She took a few seconds to answer. "Uh, nothing. Just family stuff." Talia replied hesitantly.

"Um okay.." Parker remarked, and walked away. "See you later, wheels."

"Bye!" I yelled back.

"I thought you didn't like it when Parker called you Wheels?" Talia said, breaking the awkward silence.

"I changed my mind"

"I thought you thought it was rude and vindictive?" Talia raised her voice.

"I changed my mind." I repeated.

"But it's mean." She said, throwing her hands in the air.

"A girl can change her mind." I scoffed.

"Whatever." Talia gripped the bottom of her tray and walked away.

"What the hell!" I yelled. I thought it was kinda funny. And she thinks I overreact.

~

As the day progressed, I didn't see Talia. "Have you seen Talia?" I asked Parker during science.

"No. But do you want to know something funny?" Parker looked from up from his microscope and smiled.

"Me and Talia have known each other for a long time. And when I was little, I couldn't say her name, so I called her Talfour." Parker bursted out laughing. I joined him.

"And Talfour was easier to say?" I questioned, still laughing a little.

"I guess so." Parker sighed.

"What happened between you two?" I asked. Parker looked at me, and stared into my eyes. I stared back.

"Uh, her mom died. And um, after that happened, we kinda stopped talking." Parker said, playing with his fingers.

My heart dropped when he said that.

Her mom?

"How?" I cupped my hand over my mouth, realizing what I had just said.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"No it's fine. Um, a car accident. 3 years ago. The driver of the other car fell asleep at the wheel."

My thoughts stopped. Was he talking about when I got into one? Impossible. No one knew I got into an accident. Another car? I hadn't known anyone had died in the other car. I didn't know there was another car. Apparently I had been silent for a while, because Parker interrupted my thoughts.

"Jasmine, are you okay?" Parker touched my shoulder.

"Um, I have to go." I jerked his hand off of me, causing it to fall on my hand. I sat there for a second, and pulled away. I rolled down the hallway, and out the front doors.

~

I got home, and no one was there.

"Hello? Anyone home?"

No response.

I started crying. My mom, who is dead, killed my best friend's mom? I couldn't get the thought out of my head. This was my fault. If I hadn't let my mom drive, if I would of just let her beat me, if I had thrown her keys into a pond, none of this would be happening. I heard a car door slam, so I wiped away the tears, and wheeled to the refrigerator. I tried to grab the milk, because I figured it was Josh. But dad walks in."Need some help?" He laughed.

"No I'm go-" the milk carton fell on my leg, and pain pricked through my thigh. "Ow!" I moved my leg.

"Are you okay?" My dad put his phone down and walked over to me.

"Wait." I thought for a second, and examined my leg. Did I just move my leg?

"What? Do you need ice?"

"No, dad. I shouldn't need ice."

"How did you feel that? How did you move it?" My dad, said looking at me in awe.

"I don't know."