5.The palace

The week after that, I moved into my fiancée's rooms at the Imperial Palace.
The royal servants unpacked my clothes carefully, filling one wardrobe with all my new shenis that had been gifted to me over the last week. Lastly, the rich velvet box containing all my betrothal jewellery was brought out and left open on the cherrywood dressing table, displaying the colourful (and indeed, expensive) contents.
Set in pride of place in the centre of the box was my mother's beautiful necklace, a farewell gift from my father. The rose quartz cherry blossom design glinted from among the gold and silver, the simplest piece in the box and yet the most elegant.
The next morning, my new maids dressed me in a luxurious blue sheni, tied around the waist by a white silk sash. It was a strangely relaxing experience, as I have never had anyone dress me before. Afterwards, another maid (this palace seems to have an abundance of them) was skilfully pinning my hair into a traditional bun fixed with flowers and elaborate hair pins.
Suddenly, the door swung open and my betrothed marched in clothed in red and gold silk.
I didn't have time to reply before he took me by the hand and led me down to the garden. There was a beautiful pond in the centre, it's shimmering waters reflecting the red crescent bridge over it. Scattered across the lake were a number of bright green lily pads and blossoming pink lilies, shielding the bubbles of the koi carp that swam through the waters.
Bordering the lake were ten ancient cherry blossom trees blooming with pale pink flowers that fell like a waterfall to create a veil. I could feel my jaw dropping in amazement: nothing in the modern world was so...peaceful. Beautiful.
I heard a chuckle beside me, and quickly shut my mouth.
"Thank you, Your Highness. It is indeed a magnificent garden,"I said gratefully.
"Little one, you may call me Xi,"he replied. I nodded, before pecking him lightly on the cheek.
Xi stared at me in shock for a moment, then cleared his throat loudly and gestured behind him.
"Ai Jei, allow me to introduce your new bodyguard, Fei Xuan."
A beefy man stepped forwards, his bare arms folded over his chest. They were littered with scars, the most recent of which were still a tender pink. He has probably been in a battle recently. I gazed up into his face, which was twisted into an expression of superiority.
Damn, another prick!
"Fei Xuan was a general in the army, but he has been granted retirement to serve the royal family. I assure you, he is one of the best in the business and is fiercely loyal to the Imperial Dynasty,"explained Xi, noticing me studying his arms
Fei Xuan nodded respectfully. "I look forwards to working with you, Your Highness."
"As I do I,"I replied, raising my eyebrows at Xi.
Does he not think that I am capable of looking after myself? Wait... he can't have noticed my injury from when we were fighting. I was so sure that I had hidden it! Oh well, I shall I ask him later when we are alone. I don't like the look on Fei Xuan's face, and I need to settle in before I make any accusations.