8. Jealousy

Ai Jei's POV
Xi avoided me for the next few days say that he had "important matters to attend to." That was a load of bullshit! He had no matters to attend to instead he spent most of the day gallivanting around with his half sister ,who was obviously still upset at not getting the chance to be his bride. Finally he had let off enough steam and came to apologise. What for you might think? To be honest I have no idea. I guess avoiding people is rude in every culture.
" Little one, I am sorry for avoiding you. However you must never put your life in danger again. Imagine if you had died! Reacting poisons is a risky business and if you had a slight misstep you could be 6 feet under by now!" Said Xi struggling to keep his composure.
"I understand my dear Xi but......." I couldn't finish my sentence as I pulled into a bear hug by my eager fiancée. " I'm sorry" I breathed into the soft silk of his robe. As I said this I could feel a smile grace his face, I gripped him tightly. After a few minutes of hugging we parted.
"Little one come watch my practice sometime maybe you can participate as well?" He said to me. " It will be us my court and my little sister Meiji."
MEIJI!!! That little princess who despised me for stealing her older half brother. Oh well if i go i will have to show her up.
" What time is your practice?" I called to my betrothed' retreating back. He held up a hand with 3 fingers. So 3pm? Well I will have to prepare myself after all I have to look my best in front of Xi's court, i cant embarrass my fiancée now can I. I strode back to my quarters. I rang a small bell on my dresser summoning a maid.
"Give me my best sheni and the topaz necklace my fiancée gave me." The maid bowed her head and retreated to my enormous cherry wood closet in which my vast amount of clothes and jewellery were stored.
She chose a sky blue sheni and the topaz necklace that my fiancée had gifted me. I donned the clothes and jewellery and flexed my arm. Good. I can move in them if need be.
I approached the practice grounds to see Xi riding a magnificent palomino stallion and shooting at a target as he rode by.
I sat at the side as he took aim.
Twang
The arrow was released at lightning speed a flew into the middle of the target closer to the centre than the other arrows he had shot. He trotted over to me.
"I'm disappointed in you betrothed I could do better than you even when I was 8 summers old." I said smoothly ignoring the shocked face of my bodyguard. My fiancée gave me a look then gestured for a horse, bow and quiver to be brought for me. I quickly mounted a chestnut stallion (about 14 hands high) and drew the bow. As I galloped past the target I let out a quick succession of arrows each one hitting dead centre and splitting the arrow before.
I glanced over to see my fiancée staring at me, a look of pride gracing his face, I smiled at him until I saw that leach stuck to his arm. That leach was one of the previous candidates for Xi's bride, princess Meiji. The illustrious clung to the robes of Xi like a shy child, burying her face in the red silk. When she looked up and saw all of Xi's attention on me, and there pride in his face, her face contorted into an expression of fury.
"Big brother", she whined,'I can shoot better than this low class girl." Xi glared at her for the insult. "Don't speak to my w..." I cut him off.
"Lets see what you can do Mei Mei." The princess gulped, she obviously was scared about going up against me. Huh she shouldn't pick fights she cant win. For all I know she could be a better shot than me ,however I will make sure that she misses. Hesitant, the princess mounted a bay mare. I snorted she couldn't even ride a stallion. Turning her head she shot a furious glare in my direction.
Thunk
Oh I dropped my fan accidentally. As I reached down to pick it up I grabbed a rather large stone nearby. I stood up and held the fan close to the bottom half of my face. The princess began her approach to the target range. All eyes were on her as she took aim. Discreetly I threw the stone with incredible accuracy and struck the horse on the hoof. We all watched as the princess released her arrows and the horse tripped causing the arrows to miss the target and the princess to lose her balance and fall off. All 30 members of Xi's court and I burst out laughing.

Princess Meiji POV
That witch! I fumed silently blowing a piece of hair ,which was tumbling out of my up do, out of my face. Ever since I challenged her I knew that she would tamper with the outcome. I shot a dirty look at her. Then my expression brightened. Brother Xi was standing next to her he would've seen my accident and what truly happened. Hurrying over to him, I stopped a meter away to see that he was staring at his fiancée with a loving gaze. Aargh he must not have seen what that bitch did. In let out a silent sob. That loving gaze could've been pointed at me if only.......if only that bitch didn't interfere with what was already there. If only she had died.

Ai Jei's POV
After the spectacle the princess had made of herself Xi asked me if he could escort me to my quarters. An offer that I gladly accepted. We spoke about politics and what we would do if we ruled this country. Through our conversations we realised that we had a lot in common, we had a similar sense of humour, sense of loyalty and hobbies. I also discovered that Xi and I did not have the same sense of risk. He would only act if the plan was established whereas I would act first ask questions later. However I felt a slight pull towards him.
"Be ready early tomorrow, we are going to meet the Hong Yi." Said Xi after dropping me at my residence. Quickly telling him goodnight I gently closed the door. The Hong Yi. That was unexpected. They were the empires assassination squad taking hit and run requests, assassination and suicide missions. They were the elite of the elite and in this time period they were the best around. The whole squad contained assassins, alchemists, gunpowder experts, mercenaries to be hired out and the leader who controlled all of this. Currently the Hong Yi unit belonged to Xi and he was the temporary leader until he found someone for the fixed position . I hope they don't disappoint me cause it wont be good.......for their health. With that final thought I fell into a deep slumber.