Chapter 2

Leo thought about that. It would certainly be appealing. He might not have ever thought of another man with any kind of attraction before, but his connection with Angel was already strong, even before entering the country. Being close to him was only all the harder to resist.

Not tonight, no. But heal you. Stay with you as long as I can, he vowed.

Angel was gorgeous; he had strong, elegant bone structure and dark features, with bright green eyes and in urgent need of care. Leo couldn't do anything but adore him and want to give him a bit of joy to break through the pain.

You can heal these? Angel wondered, surprised.

Yes, I have my bag with me. I have herbs and a strengthening shake your cousin made for me, Leo noticed that his travel bag was over his shoulder, even though he had gone to bed and left his bag on the floor. Obviously the dream walk knew what he needed and provided it.

Angel cocked his eyebrow in surprise and he could tell that he wasn't sure what cousin he was talking about. He probably had quite a few, considering nearly everyone he had been 'mated' to, in the last few weeks, had been related to her.

Katarina, he answered.

Angel managed a weak smile; he knew all about Katarina, which surprised Leo. Ah, Uncle Carlton's daughter. She is well? he asked softly.

Leo smiled as he realized that a part of Angel's mind was delving into his memory. There was quite a lot of love and feeling there for Katarina. It was good to know that his friendship with her wouldn't be a problem. She is very well. It was she who last visited you like this. She is mated to my Alpha,

I was going to be Alpha...I suppose my uncle must have taken my place? his voice drifted off into musings.

Leo held him firm, keeping their eyes locked so that Angel couldn't sink back into disbelief. He nodded, wanting to give his mate as much reassurance and information as he needed to keep him happy. Yes. Your people thrive. They are to unite with my own, in a merging of the packs, because Katarina is the next heir, he explained.

It sounds...like something I would like very much.

Leo smiled, releasing the breath he had been holding in. Angel could have said so many things, in disapproval of the merging, in anger at losing his Alpha status or in approval. He was happy to know that he wasn't going to protest to missing out on his chance to lead the pack.

May I ask how old you are? Angel asked, quietly.

The question came out of nowhere and Leo had to wonder about the importance of his answer. He already knew that Angel was older than him and had waited for him to come of age. He hoped that an honest answer eased his mind.

I'll be nineteen in a few months. How old are you? He thought turn around was only fair.

Angel seemed to ignore the question for a while, as he smiled, his happiness reaching right into his eyes. Whatever he was thinking, Leo got a trace of thought that said 'dirty' and 'with longing'. Whatever Angel was thinking had been going through his mind for years.

Then you are of age for me, little mate. If only I were strong enough to show you, Angel ran his finger over the back of Leo's hand. He gently pushed his fingers away from his jaw, until their fingertips brushed against each others. It sent shivers through them both, as Leo allowed his hand to be removed from his mate's face and clasped gently in Angel's. Only then did he answer his question.

I am not aware of how old I am. I believe I was your age when I was captured, Angel admitted, with a distance that said it didn't matter anymore.

Leo sighed in sadness. It was awful to think that his own mate had been so mistreated, for so long, that he didn't even know how old he was. How did he survive the endless days...the endless beatings...the endless torture and darkness that had become his life? What would it mean for his recovery?

Then you're somewhere in your early twenties? Twenty-three I'd say, Leo tried to help jog his memory, though he knew the answer. He felt it would help Angel, but it was difficult. He was tired and Angel's extreme fatigue and pain was beginning to make it through his mind.

That sounds right. Yes. Not too old for you, after all? Angel joked.

Leo couldn't believe that he had enough spirit in him, enough positivity, to make a joke like that. But he approved very much. No. Not too old, He smiled with his agreement. He couldn't stop himself gripping his mate's hand tightly, not wanting to let go now that he could feel that overwhelming need to take care of him. He now understood the way Milo doted after Katarina and how worried he really was about her. Her gifts were enough to worry about on their own, but he knew that Angel's treatment was going to make him a complete worrywart.

Do they search you? he asked, suddenly getting an intriguing idea.

Angel shook his head and looked confused.

Leo figured that it was stupid to ask if he was being searched regularly. He was locked in a cage, watched over day and night, supposedly kept away from humanity. What would they need to check him for?

Take these, He handed over the herbs. If you chew on them, they will give you a dream walk, so you can see me. Just focus on me and they'll do the work,

Angel nodded in agreement.

He reached into his bag and pulled out a small bag of herbs that he planned to tuck into the front pocket of Angel's worn jeans. They were dirty, kind of disgusting and probably caked in years of grime, but he didn't care. If it helped his mate, he would do anything. So he pulled out some clothes from his backpack and handed them over to his mate.

Get changed. These are clean and fresh. You'll feel better in them, he sighed, watching his mate look at him curiously before accepting them. He would have turned his back to give Angel some privacy, but his legs were too weak. As soon as he tried to pull one out from under him, Leo realized just how weak he really was.

He steadied Angel, as he shifted position to lay his legs out in front of him. Leo pulled out a t-shirt and a bottle of water from his backpack. His mate would need a good wash before he put on clean clothes.

His legs made an awful cracking noise, as if he hadn't move like that in a long time. But the most terrifying thing was that Angel didn't even grimace in pain. How much pain did he deal with on a daily basis, that this didn't even make an impact?

He helped his mate stand, using his own balance and his strong arms around his mate to keep him standing. Then, Angel sighed and leaned against him, too weak to do any more.

He learned his head against Angel's. I'm going to have to undress you, Angel. You can't do it on your own. Just hold onto me and don't fall over, Leo explained inside his head. He felt a small trickle of amusement run through his mate.

It is such a shame you are not undressing me for more entertaining reasons, he retaliated tiredly.

Leo laughed, inside his head, and made sure that Angel was securely leaning against him. He wrapped his arm around Angel's waist from behind and let his hands meet in the middle, undoing the fastening of his jeans. He expected to have to give them a bit of a shove to get them over his mate's hips, but as soon as they were undone, they sank to the floor. He hated it.

I will be glad if you are not a dream, mate of mine. It is good to feel you this close, Angel confessed, in a whisper.

And you, Angel, Leo smiled and returned the sentiment as he removed the last of his mate's clothes. He used the t-shirt and water to scrub off the worst of the dirt. He let his mate have quiet rests, when it became too much.

He watched as Angel greedily drank down the strengthening shake with an unquenchable thirst. His recovery was going to take months, maybe years. Even then, Leo wasn't sure that any of the mental scars would ever truly heal.