Chapter 10

It took Carlton a few hours by train, and a few more by running as his wolf through the familiar forest, before he returned to his pack's camp. He spotted Brogan instantly, sitting outside his Alpha hut and directing others as he made marks on a large flat of paper. He would be marking out which sites of the camp had been packed and which needed urgent attention.

Good lad. He deliberately sent the thought to Brogan, who smiled and looked up at him, nodding a hello.

Carlton had found Brogan, at the age of six, hiding in the woods halfway between his own camp and the Belesone pack. He had been returning from visiting Rose.

The boy had been half starved, crying and whimpering as a wolf in a roughly dug hideout. His parents had been fighting a territorial battle with a local pack and lost. Never returning for him, Brogan had set off to find shelter, leaving a trail of his scent for his parents to find. After a whole year, he had lost hope. They would never return.

He had been with Carlton eighteen years now and in that time, he had become like a son to him. He had been with him only one year less than his daughter's entire existence.

And that brought him to Bricia, who Brogan instantly noticed was missing. Where is your daughter, Alpha? He asked, with obvious concern.

Carlton was pleased that he kept the conversation private, to not alert the others to a needless worry. She remains with her sister, under the Alpha's watchful gaze. I have excellent news to share with you, Brogan. My Kate is carrying a child. Carlton couldn't wait to reveal the most exciting news.

Many congratulations, Alpha. Brogan was beaming, as he congratulated him, following closely as they both escaped into the privacy of his hut, where Carlton transformed and dressed.

To have her back and to have this glorious news as well. I can hardly believe my fortunes. Carlton confessed, with a growing excitement. It was best for Bricia to remain. Katarina will need all the family she can get, to stay close to her in this time. He reasoned, exciting Brogan, who was bouncing on his heels like a schoolboy.

Is it him? Is it her son? He asked eagerly.

Carlton turned and smiled, now dressed in his usual clothes of cotton trousers and tunic top. He couldn't stop being happy. It is. He has just given his father his first vision, to reveal that my nephew, Angel is still alive. He is quite an extraordinary child. He claimed with pride. He had never thought the day would come when he would see his first grandchild, but to know that it would be this prophesied son was a miracle.

Yes... Brogan was lost to his thoughts again at this news.

Carlton caught his eye, intrigued by his tone of voice.

Oh, Alpha the most surprising thing happened. I was collecting the prophesies your mother made into a book...for Katarina's union gift...and I came across one that concerned myself. He explained why he couldn't seem to act like the twenty-four year old, composed Beta he was.

Well, what did it say?

You are not mad that I read it? Brogan asked, a little worried.

Carlton laughed and caught him by his big broad shoulders. He promised that he wasn't mad. His mothers prophesies were never wrong, so whatever he had seen, he could trust. Of course not, if it concerned you, you were meant to see it.

Bolstered by that approval, Brogan burst into an explanation. It said 'In the same month the prophesied son begins life, two Betas will find their mates. An Alpha will be saved from Hell and delivered to Heaven. A young boy will become a man and bare his soul to the one who needs it most.' He explained, with an eager look. Surely, Alpha, it means that the Beta Leo will find and save your nephew and my mate...well, I will find them. I am sure my mate is in this Belesone pack.

I hope so. Carlton smiled at the boyish hope in his Beta. He had put off searching for his mate for so long that it seemed only fair that he should find him within this new pack or at least their territory. And yes, Brogan, that seems a true interpretation. But you do not seem such a young boy to me. Then...I have always considered you a son, so perhaps my judgment does not matter. He claimed.

And I have considered you a father, Alpha. I look forward to meeting your daughter. She must be very beautiful, like her mother. He mused thoughtfully.

Carlton laughed at the similar conversation he'd had with Katarina on that very subject not so long ago. Yes, she was very like Rose. But she was also like Yvonne and all the other women he had adored and loved over the years; his mother, his grandmother, his aunts and sisters. Oh yes. Very much like her mother...and quite like my own mother in many ways. She is of true Kirstom blood. He confessed. If anyone needed any proof of that, they only had to spend ten minutes with the quiet, feisty young woman. She was strong, like all the Kirstom women and so talented.

She will be quite something to see. And her son...he will be a true gift to all shifters. Brogan said with great feeling.

Carlton smiled at him. They both had the same, strong positive feeling about his first grandsons birth. It would a miraculous moment to witness.

Yes, I believe he will.