Chapter 28

Leo worshiped his mate the way he deserved, with long luxurious kisses and caresses, that made the most of his new found freedom. Whenever he looked at Angel now, his mate had danger in his eyes and it made Leo feel weak inside.

Fingers ghosted over his skin, touching, teasing, probing and doing incredible things to him. Angel's lips were everywhere...his neck, his eyelids, his cheek, his shoulders. And then they were together.

Leo had never known it could be like this. That anything could be so fulfilling. He held onto his mate and savored each moment. Accept me, Angel. He asked, with no idea where the words came from.

You are trying to mate with me, my love? He replied with a laugh. Is this pleasure not intense enough? But you wish to increase it so greatly. He asked teasingly. You want me, forever? To be yours and only yours? Angel asked breathlessly.

Yes...mine...

Then I claim you, lion. You are my mate...my love...and I will never leave you. He swore, reciting the sacred union words that bound their souls and bodies together.

Leo closed his eyes on hearing them; he had waited his whole life for this moment and now it was here. He wasn't even nervous. And you are mine, Alpha. I love you and I will never leave you. He just brought his mouth up to Angel's ear and whispered the words to him as an electrifying current swept through him.

Love...yes...much love. Feel my love for you, lion. Let it heal you. You are mine and I will love you until you cannot breathe. Angel promised a whole host of things that made Leo breathless.

When the first part of the union bond was completed, they lay together, behind the waterfall, breathless but satisfied. Angel felt so free and liberated from the bonds of his mental prison that he barely recalled what his life had been like without Leo in it. He was so saturated in his mate, mind, body and soul that he almost couldn't believe that they had ever been two separate people. It felt as if they had always been together and they had always been one. To love and care for each other. And so he couldn't stop himself from making one more suggestion.

If you wish to be truly mated with me, lion...shall we run together? He wondered, hopeful that Leo would agree. He had fulfilled so many of his dreams and fantasies already that there were only a few more before he would have to let his imagination run wild to discover new wishes.

God, yes. He sighed, in wistful longing.

Angel moved away from where he lay, letting his long, dark hair fall over his face as he smiled. He backed off and eventually transformed into his wolf. Even then he looked gorgeous. Then you must catch me. He claimed, before turning and running off.

Leo got up and ran after him, transforming mid-stride to his wolf form.

When he finally caught his mate, they tussled and played with one another, for a little while, until Leo had Angel's wolf pinned to the meadow floor. Are you going to let me up or follow through? His true mate asked tenderly.

Leo smiled. Both. Eventually.

Again they let their passion and love for one another take flight, each reciting the necessary words inside their heads, as they mated as wolves.

***

Angel was gasping for breath by the time they returned to the slab of rock beside the waterfall pool and lay down to cool off. They had loved and played and bathed for hours and he never wanted it to end. He wasn't sure what was keeping him going, after years of solitude, darkness and fatigue, but he had more energy than he had ever had in the last five years.

Leo, love me forever and I will be your slave. He asked, gladly admitting to how much pleasure his wolf had experienced in the last few hours.

Leo wrinkled his nose, in disapproval. How about I love you forever and we stay equals? He suggested a counter offer, that he was much happier with.

Angel turned to smile at him. You are still uncomfortable with a position of power? He asked, only just a little surprised by that fact. Leo was, after all, the sweetest and more caring person he had ever known. As a Beta it was a wonderful talent to care and understand people so easily. But as a shifter it was not always the most pleasant of gifts. It often led to being used or innocent misunderstandings.

No. I just like this new equality thing you're teaching me. You've suffered enough submission for one lifetime. Leo smiled as he admitted the truth.

You will not ever get over that pain, will you? Angel guessed sweetly.

No.

Then it is good that we are mated. Angel decided, with a nod. We shall share everything, the good and the bad. Would that please you, mate of mine? He reached out and took Leo's hand in his, offering him the comfort of knowing that neither of them were alone any more. They had each other and that was how they were going to survive what the humans had put them through.

Yes. A shared pain is only half the pain. Bearable between us two. Leo agreed with that plan.

Suddenly he understood what he had always been saying; by taking him and torturing him, the humans had put Leo through the same traumas as his mate, only in a much more distanced capacity. But distance didn't stop the pain.

Then if we are to be equals, you must complete the mating.

They both enjoyed the carefree evening together at the waterfall, as they made love again.

This wasn't a dream walk. It wasn't a dream or a fantasy. And for the first time since they had found each other, Angel didn't have to go back to an empty cage and be alone to suffer his nightmarish personal Hell.

Tonight, he was human, alive and real. And he had his mate. Which was, for the longest five years of his life, all he had ever truly wanted.

***

Alpha Bryson wasn't surprised when his Beta returned from the fight at the compound with all his men intact, if a little banged up. Leo and Angel weren't with him. "I gather Leo and the Dubrinsky boy managed to escape successfully?" he asked, as he let his Beta recover. He let him take a drink and sit down before asking him for a recount of the incident.

"The fight was quick and successful. We took two humans hostage, a man and a woman. We thought you may wish to interrogate them, to find out more about this organization of theirs," the Beta explained calmly.

"Good. I would like to learn more about them," Bryson confessed with a pleased smile. He poured a cup of tea for his Beta and let him take a sip, with a grateful look, before asking more of him. He wanted to ensure that nothing had gone wrong. "And Leo?" he asked curiously.

"The Dubrinsky boy got away clear. Once they left the area I no longer tracked them as per Leo's request," the Beta explained with a nod.

Leo wanted to keep his mate as safe and mentally secure as possible. Very little shifter company was important to that command. They all understood that and none of them required a thank you for their assistance. They all held an allegiance to the Dubrinsky bloodline, as most Alpha's and packs did.

"That will have to be good enough. I am sure he will contact us if he requires any more assistance," Bryson agreed, rubbing his hands together with glee. He gave his Beta a few more minutes to enjoy his tea and take a few minutes to relax. Then, he shot into action, rising to his feet. "Let's go interrogate our prisoners," he encouraged, eager to learn more about this secret organization.