Chapter 17

Two days passed. Katarina had tried her hardest to stay in the house, reading and helping Milo with his pack paperwork and the spec drawings for Leo and Angel's cabin. But no matter what she tried, there always seemed to be so much more to do than she anticipated.

Callum stopped by with messages from her father, who was caught up in his work and unable to visit her himself. Which usually resulted in long, detailed chats about how he was going to tell Janet they were true mates.

Then she had the worry of Josanna and Algar's feelings for each other. Algar spent even more time training the younger kids, as if it were the best way to keep himself away from his mate, while Josanna acted like a brat.

Katarina was worried about how everything was going. Josanna was by far the worst. Since finding out that Algar was her true mate and that he rejected her, until she could prove that she had feelings for him in return, she had been acting out. Flirting with anyone and everyone in sight, ignoring Algar and disrespecting him, whenever he was within the same area.

Milo was concerned she was going to push him so far that he snapped. But as much as Katarina insisted on doing something to interfere, he couldn't allow it.

As Alpha and as Algar's friend, he had to give him the time and space he wanted, to make up his own mind. He might not have been happy about it, but he was even more displeased with how Josanna continued to moan and gripe to everyone who would listen. She claimed he was being 'unfair' and taking out a personal grudge on her, for no reason. No one believed it and for that he was glad. But it didn't stop him from wishing he could do something to shut her up, without hurting his little wolf.

"Milo!" Katarina screamed his name and he woke from his thoughts.

He was supposed to be doing paperwork in the study, while Katarina sat reading in the library. The instant he heard her voice, he shot out of his chair, ran across the hall and burst into the library. He was shocked to find her standing, one hand over her stomach and the other grabbing onto the back of the sofa. He could see that her knuckles were already white, with the intensity of her grip.

"What happened?" he asked in a panic, as he caught her in his arms and gently eased her onto the sofa.

She winced in pain again, quietly this time, and doubled over her, leaning far over her knees.

Milo wanted to do something, but he didn't know what, until she told him what was wrong. So when she reached out her hand, he took it in his own and held on tight.

"It's him...Angelus. There's...something wrong," she gasped, squeezing his hand so tight he was afraid she might break something. But he didn't care. He was too scared about what was going on to really care.

Without thinking anything of it, Milo made a snap decision. There were a few different options he could have chosen: calling Yosi or the guards who were in the house, phoning the doctor or even urging Katarina to connect to his mind and show him what was happening. Instead, he closed his eyes, concentrated hard and thought of Carlton. He just kept saying to himself, over and over again.

Katarina needs you. She's in pain. We need you Carlton. He kept saying it, until he felt that tingling sensation at the side of his eyes, that said the connection was made.

What is wrong? Carlton's concerned voice sounded inside his head and Milo sighed.

Katarina's in a lot of pain. She says it's the baby. He explained briefly, relieved when he felt the connection breaking off instantly. He hoped that meant Carlton was leaving his mind to dig into Katarina's.

The way she began panting in a surprised way, as if someone had dropped her into freezing cold water, told him that his suspicion was probably right.