Chapter 7

Milo waited until Katarina left the room, supposedly to go rest, before tapping into the mental link he now had with Carlton. It was easier than he thought, since Carlton had made a pathway between their minds. It wasn't long before he was connected with his father-in-law.

Carlton, Katie and I have some news that we thought you should know, he began, as soon as he had the confirmation from Carlton that he was aware and willing to talk to him. He felt Carlton's awareness peak and continued. Our son just sent me a vision of Leo and Angel. Let's just say that I've had confirmation that Angel is definitely alive,

There was a moment of silence as Carlton processed that information. Then, the tentative question Milo had expected. Are you sure? he asked, a trace of worry and relief in his voice that he was able to understand all too well.

For five years, Angel's family and pack had believed him dead. To find that it wasn't true was both a blessing and a train wreck. On one hand he was alive and could come home. On the other he was alive and no one had gone to save him.

Positive. And the tongue that was delivered to you wasn't his, he theorised. I guess that without a sample of Angel's DNA and access to the human world, you weren't able to verify that the tongue belonged to him, Milo guessed that the traditional values of the pack had resulted in absolutely no confirmation that the tongue had ever belonged to Angel.

Carlton squirmed at the veiled accusation. Well, no, we never could. But the note said it was, he said. He knew it was a pathetic excuse, but his grief had blinded him and Milo understood that. As an Alpha he should have refused to believe what hadn't been confirmed.

What exactly did you see? Are you sure it wasn't just an image of their dream walk? he wondered, sounding scared to believe that his nephew was alive and might be returned to him one day soon.

I'm not sharing it with you. But I'm sure. Leo was older, maybe by a year or two, Milo knew his Beta well enough to recognize the slight changes in his present and future selves. Future Leo was taller, stronger and there was a look in his eyes that said he had witnessed true horror and yet was able to move on and be happy. It made him both sad and happy. As to what I saw...Leo and Angel were playing tonsil-tennis and I'm leaving it at that, he chuckled, trying to drag his mind away from unsettling thoughts. And his words made an impact with Carlton.

Milo didn't tell either Carlton or Katarina that the scene he had witnessed was in their forest, on his land. Only that both mates were happy.

Oh. Well...at least we have that confirmation, Carlton agreed. Do you think I should talk to Leo? He might need some help, he suggested suddenly.

But there Milo had to let him down. Yes, he understood the offer of help and he understood that Carlton felt guilty. But in this Leo was unwavering. No. He flatly refused help, when I offered, he warned him. Callum and Algar were willing to go with him. He says it's something he has to do alone. For Angel's sake. I'm not sure what it means, but I trust him, he admitted, thoughtfully.

Yes. Well, thank you for the news. Will it change anything of our agreement? Carlton asked.

No. If Angel comes back and decides he wants to be Alpha, Milo hemmed, since that was a possibility. I'm willing to let him start his own pack nearby. He can even take some of our pack with him, if they want to. I won't grudge him that, he confessed. Angel deserved to be happy. As an Alpha who had never got the chance to lead his pack, he had every right to fight for that position.

No. Neither will we. I'll discuss this with my Beta and my pack. I'll get back to you if there are any decisions already made,

Milo smiled and said his goodbye. Great. Have a good trip,