Chapter 13

Scarlett

You would think that the middle of September would feel more like fall than summer considering that summer's going to be over in less than a week. In all the places I've lived that always been true. Once September hits, summer would vanish before it was officially over and the cool breezes of autumn would appear. 

September's always been the tease for fall, but apparently not here in Boston. The city's been going through a mini heat wave, thanks to climate change. This whole week has been 85 degrees or higher. Previous records for late September are being obliterated. Yesterday it was 95 degrees. If I would've known Boston got so hot I would have thought twice about coming here. I hate hot weather. I sweat, my face gets super oily, and my hair keeps trying to revert itself into a fro. That's why I always stayed North. Blizzards I can deal with. Heat waves not so much.

Originally I dealt with the heat by blasting the AC and only leaving the air-conditioned dorms when absolutely necessary, but I guess everyone on campus had the same idea because yesterday the whole system blew. According to school maintenance could take up to a week to fix.

Not one to sit in straight Hell for a week and suffer, I've been staying in the library basement. Being 10 feet underground makes it the coolest place on campus. Besides it being an oasis in the actual hell that Boston's going through, it's also extremely quiet, making it the perfect place to work on my script for Simpson's class. I know that it's supposed to be a group thing, but Lucas hasn't really been available since our not date date and neither have I. Asher's been consuming most of my free time.

I hate waiting, so I took the liberty of starting our script myself. I want the rough copy done in a week, so we have a week to revise it, and then we can use the rest of the time to perfect our performance and get the A+ we ( I ) so rightly deserve.

I'm working on the script when a pair of warm hands cover my eyes. My fight or flight instincts are about to kick in when a familiar husky voice says "Guess who?"

My heart rate speeds up and my breathing hitches. I know it's the drop dead gorgeous guy whom I've been simultaneously avoiding and constantly thinking about since our not date date two weeks ago.

I know for a fact that I don't have any feelings for Lucas. It's infatuation, not attraction that's driving these thoughts for him. Lucas is hands down one of the hottest guys I've ever been met. I didn't do a lot of dating in high school, and I was rarely around guys that I didn't think of as brothers so of course, it's natural for my body to react the way it does with him since he is the first guy I find attractive in a really, really long time. I'm trying to avoid him so that this infatuation doesn't turn into a false love based on a version of Lucas I create. I'm too quiet for too long, so I use jokes to break the brewing awkwardness that I've created.

"Is it Drake?" I jokingly ask

"Nope. Try again."

"Stephen James?"

"Who?

"Beautiful tatted English model."

"Nope, it's not him." I can hear the frustration growing in his voice, and I basically choke on a laugh.

" Okay Is it-"

"Scarlett you're an ass," Lucas laughs and sits across from me. He furrows his eyebrows once he sees all my books."Did we have a session together? If we did I completely forgot."

"Nope. I just wanted to work on the project by myself. No worries. How did you find me here anyways?" I don't remember telling anyone about my new hiding place.

"I have my ways, but don't worry about that."

Butterflies bloom in my stomach at the thought of Lucas going out of his way to find me, but the condescending voice in my head quickly shuts all that down.

You're just his English partner nothing more. You'd think he'd really go for a girl like you? 

"Um okay. Whatever. What do you want then?"

"For you to spend some time with me." My jaw may or may not have dropped. Lucas reaches across the table and places his hand on my bare shoulder. I think I'm feeling sparks, but it's just the warmth from his hands mingling with my ice cold shoulder. "You work too hard Scar. I'm going to the beach with some friends, and you're coming with us."

"Lucas I-" His demand caught me off guard, and any chance of me forming a coherent sentence has flown out the window.

"Nope. I'm not taking no for an answer. Have some fun for once. I haven't seen you in almost two weeks. I bet all you've done was homework."

" Okay maybe but -"

"Great I'll pick you up at two," Lucas says getting up and leaving me alone and partially flustered in the library. If Lucas had let me speak, he would've found out that out of everything I brought to Boston with me, swimwear was not one.

Now I gotta go find a swimsuit.

-----------

Blah this story is boring me, but it'll get better. Anyways the romance between the two is blossoming.