Eighteen

Spencer had fought tooth and nail to stay with Mavis while she was in the hospital so he could be there when she woke up. His winning argument towards Hotch was that he never really went into the field anyway. He could do what he usually did from the hospital room.

It had been almost three weeks since she tried to kill herself and she still hadn't woken up from the medication they had her on. They started to give her less and less doses of it hoping she would wake up. Her pulse was normal now, and she had been stable for three days. As she was weaned off the medication and she was able to breathe by herself, they took the device from her throat and she had been breathing by herself for three days. They said she should wake up any day now. He was still patiently waiting for that day.

He was on the phone with the team and he was flipping through the case files on the small table they had in the room with a computer opened on it. Spencer's eyes kept darting over to Mavis' body out of somewhat of a habit now. He didn't want to miss the moment when she woke up.

Penelope brought him food everyday just to make sure he ate. She also wanted to check up on Mavis to see how she was doing. She came in once when Mavis was having another one of her seizures. Penelope couldn't stop crying. She hated seeing Mavis in that position and she kept blaming herself for what happened to her, but Spencer kept telling her it was inevitable.

When Spencer glanced over at Mavis' body, he nearly dropped his phone. Her eyes were starting to open and he lost his train of thought. He lost every breath in his lungs. Her fingers started to move, she was curling them into a fist as best as she could. He saw her toes wiggle under the blankets which made him smile. He barely noticed his entire team calling his name in the phone since he stopped mid sentence in something that could break the case.

"His partner is his wife." He spoke out plainly as he kept his eyes on Mavis. She opened her mouth but quickly shut it because of how dry it was. "You've already interviewed her. She's the dominant personality." He spoke to them in the phone never tearing his eyes away from Mavis. It wasn't long until he heard the click of a hang up. He put down his phone and Mavis slowly turned her head to looked at Spencer. She weakly smiled in his direction.

He slowly pushed himself up and out of the chair. He walked over to her and she tried to sit up. She put all of her weight on her arms and immediately fell back down with a soft fuck. "Don't try and sit up..." Spencer spoke softly and he placed his hand on her arm gently. She looked down at her arms and her eyes immediately welled with tears.

"I'm sorry..." she tried to speak but nothing came out. She mouthed the words over and over again. Spencer shook his head and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"It's okay, Mavis." He spoke against her skin. She closed her eyes and a few tears ran down her pale cheeks. She reached up and grabbed his hand in hers. He patted the back of her hand before letting go of it. She looked terrified that he was leaving her. "I'm getting a nurse." He spoke reassuringly. She nodded and closed her eyes once again.

He stepped out into the hallway and flagged down her nurse. He told her she was awake and they ran back to her room. The nurse slowly walked into the room with a soft smile. Spencer stayed by the door in the room, his hands shoved in his pockets. "Hey there, Mavis." The nurse spoke. She turned her head towards the nurse and blinked slowly. She still couldn't talk. Mavis slightly waved, her arms heavy and still on the bed. "Don't try and move or talk, okay?" The nurse spoke to her. Mavis nodded slightly keeping her gaze on the nurse. She started to mess with the medication they were giving her and swapping it out with a new bag of different medication to keep her healthy and regenerating her vitamins she had lost. "We're going to start you out on ice chips until we know you can keep down solid foods." The nurse spoke. Mavis nodded, keeping her eyes on the nurse. She strayed her attention to Spencer and he smiled in her direction. She happily smiled back towards him and closed her eyes. The nurse said she would be back with ice chips before leaving.

Spencer walked further into the room and pushed the table off to the far corner away from the bed. He moved the chair next to her bed and slowly sat down in it. She turned her head towards him, her eyes opening slowly since her eye lids were still heavy. She moved her hand so her palm was up towards the air. He placed his hand in hers and she weakly wrapped her fingers around his hand. He smiled slightly from how she was trying to say she was sorry without physically saying it. The nurse soon came back with a cup of ice chips. She moved the bed so Mavis was slightly propped up. She helped her move on the bed without putting too much pressure on her arms. They had taken the bandages off of her legs and waist, but kept replacing the ones on her arms to keep the stitches protected. The nurse had also brought another pillow for Mavis and tucked it comfortably behind her head. She smiled and mouthed a small thank you. The nurse nodded with a smile. She helped Mavis with the ice chips, placing only a few on her tongue at a time.

"So for the next couple of weeks we're going to help Mavis start walking again. It's going to take some time and effort, but she should be up and walking freely to the bathroom in a couple of days. If your work schedule permits you from being here, don't worry about it, we will have someone round the clock checking in on her." The nurse spoke to him while she was feeding Mavis the ice chips. "If you need more ice chips, there's a freezer in a small rec room down the hall." She said with a smile. He nodded and held onto Mavis' hand tightly. "She will be weak, so if she wants to move, please help her. If she needs anything, help her and if you can't do it, call one of us. Someone will be by to clean out the bedpan and help her with that until she can walk again either with assistance or by herself." He nodded once more and kept his eyes on the nurse. She was more focused on Mavis than she was on him. "Are you okay now, Mavis?" She asked her softly. Mavis nodded and the nurse put down the ice chips on the night table by the bed.

"Thank you." Spencer spoke out softly. The nurse nodded and left. Mavis looked over at him completely distraught. "You know I couldn't let you go..." he spoke softly to her. She just nodded her head.

"I'm so sorry..." she whispered weakly. Her throat was still dry even after the ice chips. "...I put you," she kept going. She placed her hand on her throat, her eyes squeezing shut as she tried to talk. It was killing Spencer to watch her go through this. "Through that..." she managed to completely get out. Spencer shook his head as she laid her arm back down on the bed. He gently squeezed her hand which caused a small smile to form on her lips. His touch was comforting her.

"Mavis...it's okay. I understand." He spoke to her. She shook her head once. She was still too weak to move much.

"It was," she started to whisper in a raspy tone. She tried to grab at the ice chips but they were too far away. Spencer got up and walked over to the night table, grabbed the cup and started to help Mavis eat them. "...selfish." she spoke once her throat was wet enough.

"Mavis, don't take this too harshly, but shut up." Spencer spoke to her. She looked up at him confused. "I don't care why you did it. I don't care if it was selfish on your part. I don't care if you apologize a million times. I just care that you're safe and you're alive. I'm not leaving your side, and I told you this. I'm here for you, no matter what." He spoke to her. Her eyes glossed over with tears and she looked at him. She nodded her head and mouthed a small thank you. "Get some rest...you need it." He spoke to her, placing the cup back down on the night table. Mavis nodded and closed her heavy eyes.

Spencer walked to the chair and slowly sat back down in it. He pulled out his phone and called Penelope telling her that Mavis had woken up and she was doing fine. Penelope was freaking out saying that she should be there and that she would be over right away. Spencer told her to stay put because Mavis was asleep currently and she needed rest. He told her that he would call her back when she woke up again. Penelope sighed and said she was fine with that, but she threatened him so he would call her the second she was up. He said she would be the first one he called, and their conversation ended soon there after.

Spencer looked over at Mavis' peacefully resting body. He knew she would force him back to work and he would have to go, but he hated the idea of it. He wanted to stay next to her side through it all. He couldn't leave her, not again, but if he didn't leave her now, he never will leave her. It was the hardest thing to decide.