Twenty Two

Mavis looked at Spencer blankly with her hands wrapped around the coffee mug. She blinked twice at him before he rose his brow. "How are you not phased by all of this?" He quickly asked not soon after he finished telling her basically his entire life story. She shrugged and brought the coffee mug to her lips. She took a large sip of the drink before putting it back down. She pushed it over to the side and looked back into Spencer's eyes.

She held out her hands on the table and he placed his in hers. She wrapped her fingers around his and kept her gaze on him. "Penelope already told me." She spoke bluntly. Spencer's brows furrowed together as he held onto her hands.

"Then why did you have me tell you if you already knew?" He spoke curiously. He just spilled out his entire life story that she already knew. She knew he had been to prison, she knew about his family history, she knew he was addicted to dilaudid. The only thing that was new to her was what really happened to his ex. Her heart actually broke for him. He even told Mavis about every other girl he's ever made out with or slept with. The slept with list wasn't very long which she actually thought was cute.

She sighed and dipped her head down between her arms. She looked back up at him and spoke softly. "Because I wanted you to open up to me and you did." She spoke. They separated their hands just as their dessert came. The waiter placed the chocolate molten lava cake down between them and said to enjoy. Spencer handed him his card before he walked away. They each grabbed a spoon and gently clinked them together, saying a small cheers. They dug into the lava cake at the same time. Mavis held off on taking her bite as she looked over at her date. "Can I ask you something?" She asked him. Spencer looked over at her, stuffing his face with the dessert. He nodded once. She leaned forward with her napkin, a soft smile on her lips as she wiped away some chocolate on the edge of his lips. "Why do you always take us to really fancy restaurants?" She spoke as she backed up, finally taking her bite.

Spencer swallowed back his bite before washing it down with water. He grabbed his napkin and wiped his mouth before speaking to her. He shrugged before he spoke. "I don't know. I just thought you'd enjoy it." He spoke to her quietly. He looked over at her and she was wearing a black sweater that went with her dress. She hated the scars on her wrist and she said once they healed completely she's getting tattoos over them. She was putting some sort of ointment on them so that the scars would fade as much as they could. She looked beautiful sitting there in her dark red dress. The straps were crossed in the back so it made an x on her back. It was tight in the chest and after the hem line it flowed just above her knees. She had on little to no makeup which Spencer loved and her hair was bone straight which she loved. He couldn't stop looking at her all night.

She laughed and shook her head as she took another bite of the dessert. The waiter came by and dropped off the receipt and his card. Spencer started to fill out the receipt leaving a nice hefty tip as Mavis spoke. "I'd be happy splitting a milkshake from Burger King with you too. Money doesn't buy happiness." She spoke to him.

He smiled wide and kept his eyes on the check before pushing it back towards the end of the table. "So Burger King next time." He laughed. She laughed and shook her head, placing the spoon down on the plate since she was done.

"That's fine with me." She spoke as she looked up at him. She was resting against the booth, her arm stretched out on the table. Spencer looked at her and nodded his head towards the door.

"Let's get out of here." He spoke to her with a wink. She laughed and nodded. They got out of the booth and Spencer immediately grabbed Mavis' hand as they walked out of the restaurant. Spencer had told Mavis to leave her purse and her wallet at home since he was paying for everything. She didn't even need her ID since she still wasn't legal to drink.