Twenty Eight

"Dr. Reid?" The agent spoke nervously on the other end as he paced in the ally behind where Mavis worked.

Spencer didn't move from his spot at the briefing table when he answered the phone. "Yeah?" He spoke into the phone. The agent put his hand against his forehead as he repeated the words I'm sorry. "What happened?" Spencer quickly spoke. He kept his gaze away from the rest of the team. Penelope started to get worried as she watched Spencer's body language completely change.

"She's gone." The agent spoke flatly into the phone. He stood by the dumpster in the back ally as he continued to look around him for any sign of where she might have gone.

"What do you mean she's gone?" Spencer spoke harshly to the agent on the other line. Everyone in the room exchanged glances, but Penelope's eyes stayed glued to Spencer.

"She went out for a smoke break..." the agent started as he rounded the dumpster to see if there was any clues over there. "I looked up at the bar and she wasn't there. Her car is here, but she's no where to be found." He spoke.

Spencer quickly sighed and ran his hand over his face. "Is there a playing card anywhere?" Spencer asked frantically as he tried not to start pacing because he was worried.

"Not that I can find..." he spoke into the phone as he stood up from looking under the dumpster.

"Do any of the employees have one?" He asked. The agent mumbled out a let me check as he walked back into the bar. He walked up to the girl that took Mavis' spot behind the bar to serve drinks. He asked her the question and she dug around in her pocket before she pulled one out. The agent told Spencer he had it. "What is it?" Spencer asked quickly.

"The Queen of Hearts." The agent spoke. Spencer's phone fell out of his hands and his face contorted in grief. She had Mavis. She had the one person who could make him feel better at a time like this. He failed at keeping her protected. His phone hit the floor and shattered, causing the call to end with the agent. Spencer couldn't answer any of the teams questions they were directing at him because he couldn't speak. The breath from his lungs had been taken. He had a lump in his throat and he couldn't comprehend what was happening.

Derek walked up to Spencer and wrapped his arm around his shoulder to lead him out of the briefing room. He sat him down at his desk and Derek stayed with him, talking to him about what the agent had told him.

It was only a few minutes later that the agent came by with the calling card. They had already made a new case file for Mavis and put her picture up on the clear board. Spencer was drawn to it. He was standing by the board just looking at her name, and reading the small facts the team new about her. He had his hands shoved in his pockets as his gaze ran over her picture.

The picture was taken before they met. She was wearing a lot more makeup than she wore now. Her hair was long, so long it was cut off in the picture, and it was blonde. Her dark roots were showing through in the photo which made him smile. He couldn't see her freckles from the amount of makeup she had on, but it was still Mavis. Her steely blue eyes were bright even back then and her smile was something that could stop time. The smile in the picture was a smile he hadn't seen before. It was her picture smile, the smile she faked to make it look like she was happy. What he wouldn't do to have her with him right now.

Jennifer and Rossi came back from being at the bar and Jennifer walked up to Spencer and wrapped him in a hug. Rossi walked over to Derek and spoke softly to him. "Did you know she worked at a biker bar?" He whispered. Derek rose an eyebrow as he looked at Spencer.

"No idea." Derek whispered back.

Jennifer pulled away from Spencer and sat him down in a chair. She sat in the chair next to him, turning to face him. The rest of the team was still at the bar. Derek had stayed with Spencer to make sure he was okay, and Penelope was working her magic. "Spence, I know this is going to be hard, but I need to know everything about Mavis' habits."

He paused as he thought. "She doesn't smoke." Spencer spoke softly as he kept his eye contact away from Jennifer.

"What?" Jennifer questioned softly. She had her hands folded in front of her and her elbows were resting on her legs.

"She doesn't smoke. I only ever visited her once at work, but I know for a fact she doesn't smoke. There has to be a reason she went outside on her break. She told me she always went into the back and took a power nap so she could feel rejuvenated for the rest of her shift." He spoke. His mind was working a thousand miles per minute and he had so much he needed to say, but he knew he wouldn't be able to get it out.

"Maybe she only smokes once in awhile at work to take the edge off?" Jennifer suggested. Spencer shook his head.

"No...she drinks coffee for that. I've never once smelled cigarette smoke on her and I've never caught her with one either. There's no way she would go outside on her break without a reason. She just doesn't do it." Spencer spoke quickly. "And she's never lied to me either so don't ask me if she's lying because I would be able to tell if she was." He started to mess with his fingers from a nervous tick and Jennifer slowly placed her hands on his.

"Spence, calm down...relax." Jennifer spoke to him. He looked at her and nodded slowly. "Breathe." She whispered to him. He took a deep breath in through his nose and exhaled through his mouth. He repeated this three more times.

"Please find her..." Spencer spoke as he looked at Jennifer. She smiled her warm comforting smile that always seemed to calm him down when he was the even slightest of stressed.

"We will. Just keep yourself safe, okay?" Jennifer spoke softly. Spencer nodded and looked away from her again. He wanted to go to sleep and wake up to make it seem like this was all a dream, but he knew he couldn't fall asleep with Mavis with her. He needed to get to her before anything bad happened to her. He didn't want to put her through anymore turmoil than she's already been through.

That night he stayed up in the briefing room, case files open and spread everywhere, a map right in front of him and markers next to him. He has to figure out what general area the unsub could be in. He had a notepad next to him so when Penelope got in, he could ask her to cross check things to maybe get closer to her. He did end up falling asleep that night about three in the morning, on the table with a cup of coffee next to him that was half full and cold. Everything felt like a dream to him. None of this was real, this wasn't happening.