Twenty Three

They were sitting in a small cafe eating breakfast. Mavis picked up her coffee mug and took a sip from it as Spencer rambled on about the Zodiac Killer and the copycat they had one time. She kept her eyes on him, a warm smile on her lips. She placed the coffee cup back down on the table and she started to eat the blueberry muffin she had. "Spencer." She spoke to him to stop him from talking. His hands fell to the table and he looked at her curiously. "Eat your bagel before it gets cold." She chuckled. He mumbled a small sorry since he knew he was rambling. He picked up half of the bottom of the bagel and started to eat it.

"Can I ask you something that's been bothering me?" Spencer asked as he chewed the bite he had. Mavis nodded. "Do you really think that this is weird because of our age difference?" He asked as he put down the half of the bagel.

Mavis kept her eyes off of him and continued to pull apart the muffin as she ate it. She shrugged and spoke softly. "Honestly..." she spoke quietly not looking at him. She didn't want to say anything that would make him upset and she didn't want to say what she really wanted to.

Spencer's phone started to ring. He opened his phone up and it was a message from Hotch saying they had a case and the briefing was in thirty. Spencer sighed and closed his phone. He put it back into his pocket and looked at Mavis. "I'm so sorry." He spoke to her.

"Duty calls." She sighed. He got up from the table and walked over to her, gently kissing her head. When he was far enough away she whispered softly to herself. "I love you..."

Spencer arrived to the office just in time. They were being briefed on a serial case that was in California. When the briefing was over, Spencer sat down in his chair and just sat there. He wanted to know what Mavis was going to say. He couldn't handle not knowing. "What's got you down, Spence?" Jennifer asked as she walked by him. He turned around in his chair and she was standing by his desk.

"It's Mavis.." he spoke out softly. He kept his gaze away from her and he started to twirl his fingers around.

"Is she okay?" Jennifer asked concerned. Spencer just nodded. "Then what is it?" She asked softly.

He looked up at her and spoke softly. "Is it normal for someone to be weirded out by an age difference?" He asked her. Jennifer raised an eyebrow at his question.

"How much older are you than her?" She asked him. Spencer sighed and looked away once again.

"Eighteen years." He spoke to her. Jennifer's eyes got wide as she looked at him.

"I understand why she's a little on the fence..." Jennifer started. She squatted in front of him knowing what she just said didn't help. "You guys are nearly twenty years apart, Spence. You're not going to connect on a mature level. She still has her life to live, to party. She can't even drink yet. You've been there done that, sorta." Jennifer spoke out slightly chuckling. "It's understandable that she's nervous about being with you since you two are different on that aspect. You're ready for kids, for a family, and she tried to kill herself because she was pregnant. I understand the implications are different, but I doubt she's ready..." she spoke to him. He nodded.

"Thanks, JJ..." he spoke out disheartened. She stood up and placed her hand on his shoulder and looked down at him. He looked up at her and she smiled warmly.

"But love is love, Spence. Don't let that stop you." She spoke to him before patting his shoulder and walking off. He sighed quietly and turned back around in his chair. He rested his elbows on his desk and placed his head in his hands as he thought about how much he actually did love her. He was about to sleep with her last night even after all she's been through.

He pulled out his phone and quickly dialed Mavis' number. She picked up as soon as it started to ring. "Hey you." She spoke into the phone happily. He smiled just at the sound of her voice.

"We're going to California." He spoke to her. She nodded on the other line. She was in his living room, laying on his couch as she ate cookies off of her chest as she read one of his books.

"Is it beautiful this time of year?" She questioned him. Spencer chuckled and nodded. He said a small yeah. "Oh take pictures! I've always wanted to go to California." She spoke with a wide smile.

"I will." He spoke to her. "I'll see you when I get back. Please be safe." He spoke into the phone. She nodded.

"I will...I have that doctors appointment tomorrow...I'll text you and tell you how it goes." She spoke to him. He let out a quiet curse word.

"Is anyone going with you tomorrow?" He asked. He was supposed to be there tomorrow, but now he couldn't.

"Probably not." She spoke. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I'm sorry I can't be there." He spoke. She giggled and shook her head on the other line.

"Baby, don't worry about it. Go save the world, okay?" She spoke into the phone. He nodded.

"I'll call you tonight..." he spoke. She said okay and they said goodbye before hanging up. He wanted to squeeze in that he loved her, but he didn't know how she'd react. He knew when he came back from California, he had to do something. He had to show her that he cared for her and that he wanted to be with her. He had to show her that the age difference between them didn't matter to him. He didn't care that she was younger than him by eighteen years. He didn't care that she might be at a different maturity level than him. She didn't act immature. She didn't act her age. He loved her and he needed to show her that somehow.