Twenty One

Spencer was sitting in a chair at the table, starring at the board with the crime scene photos on it trying to crack something in the case that was slowly growing colder. He was called out to Massachusetts with the team while Mavis was still in the hospital in recovery. She had begged him to go back to work because he needed to. The team needed him more than she did since she had nurses taking care of her and she was slowly adapting to walking on her own again. She said she would be out of the hospital within a few days.

He had one leg kicked up in the chair and the other leg was spinning him around in the chair as he talked on the phone with Mavis. "I walked for the first time by myself today." She spoke proud of herself as she ate the applesauce the nurse gave her. She was able to hold down solid foods, but the only decent thing in the hospital was the applesauce. Penelope brought her dinner so she had to suck it up and eat breakfast there.

"I'm proud of you." Spencer spoke to her with a smile. He grabbed a pen and started to chew on the cap as he spun in the chair. He was happy the team was out on leads they had found; everyone was out but him and Jennifer.

She squinted her eyes at the tv and softly hummed as she saw what was coming on next. "When are you coming back?" She questioned him softly.

"In a few days." He spoke as he stopped spinning the chair so he could focus on the board once more. He kicked his foot down from the chair and leaned forward, his elbows resting on his knees. "Why?" He mumbled into the phone as he looked at the board.

"You still need to teach me how to play poker like I've lived in Vegas my whole life." She giggled as she moved the plastic spoon around the inside of her empty applesauce cup. "And I miss you..." she spoke quietly.

Spencer chuckled at her comments. "I miss you too, baby." He spoke into the phone only slightly comprehending that he just called her baby. Mavis was taken back by the word since he never used any nickname for her.

"Baby?" She questioned. Her eyebrow raising in curiosity. Spencer hummed out a small hm as he continued to squint at the board in front of him thinking she was asking him a question. "You just called me baby." She spoke to him. She knew he was only half paying attention right now and she didn't blame him. He was busy on a case.

"I'm sorry!" He spoke defensively, his attention quickly turning towards the conversation he was holding.

Mavis giggled and smiled warmly. "It's okay. I kind of like it." She spoke as she looked down at the empty cup. She placed the empty cup on the tray and pushed the table away from her. She sat up more in bed and turned up the sound on the tv since Silence of the Lambs was starting.

Spencer sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He had been good about not giving her a nickname this far and he just screwed it up. "Can I ask you something?" Mavis spoke into the phone. Spencer nodded as he held his head in his hand. He hummed out a small mhm into the phone.

"Have you lightened up to me at all since we first met?" She questioned him quietly. Spencer lifted his head and looked out of the window of the room he was in. "Be honest." She mumbled softly.

"I feel like I have." He spoke softly to her. He started to tap the pen against his leg as he started to get more nervous about where the conversation was going.

"Really? It still feels like you have heavy boarders up around you." She spoke into the phone.

Spencer sighed quietly. "I'm sorry." He mumbled.

"It's fine, but you should be able to trust me with things and let your guard down sometimes with me. I'm not in the business of hurting people emotionally..." she spoke softly to him. She looked down at her hands as she started to pick at the sheet over her legs. "I only know bits and pieces about you and that's only because Penelope told me." She spoke. She rested her hand flat on the bed and turned her arm over as she looked at the long scar on her arm. The stitches were dissolving.

"I just don't want you to run off if you find out something you don't like." Spencer spoke as he turned in the chair to make sure no one was coming back from their lead yet. He kept his eyes on the door leading into the station.

"Like what?" She questioned. "Spencer what could scare me?" She whispered to him. She started to tug at the sheets again as she grew more anxious.

Spencer sighed and looked away from the door. He turned his chair back to look at the board and spoke. "There's a lot." He mumbled into the phone.

Mavis sighed quietly and Spencer could feel a small tinge in his chest. He didn't want to make her upset, he just couldn't tell her. "If it's about your family history, Penelope filled me in on the big things." Mavis spoke her gaze moving back up to the tv when she heard Hannibal Lecter's voice. He was possibly one of her favorite fictional serial killers.

"Can we talk about this when I get home?" He asked as he looked to the front door and the team was coming back.

"Of course..." she spoke to him. He mumbled a small bye before he hung up. She placed her phone down next to her and tried not to worry about what was so terrible in his life he couldn't tell her. She drowned herself in watching the movie after that until she fell asleep.

Spencer was worried the entire night about what he would tell Mavis about him. She knew about his family history already which was weight off of his shoulders, but he didn't know how to tell her he was addicted to dilaudid or that he still sometimes thinks about going back on it. He didn't know how to tell her what happened to his last serious girlfriend and why it's hard to let someone else in. He didn't know how to tell her he went to federal prison because he was framed. He didn't know how to tell her how the situation with Emily caused him to completely shut down and shut people out. So much had happened to him that it was hard to all get out. He didn't know how to tell her his entire life story without having her leave him. He didn't want to risk that. He needed advice and he needed advice fast.