Chapter 26

HEY EVERYBODY, HOW ARE YOU??!! I'M FANTASTIC AND I LOVE DONUTS!!!!!!!! HAS ANYONE READ THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS????????? NO SPOILERS, BUT I JUST STARTED BOOK 5: CITY OF LOST SOULS!!!!! THE BOOKS HAVE BEEN GREAT, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?? COMMENT!!!!! OKAY, I HOPE YOU ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Annabeth's POV

"Hey, Annabeautiful," Anthony greets.

"Actually, my name's Annabeth and you can call me that," I growl.

"Yeah," Percy grumbles, "I've got a long list of things he can do. Starting with -"

"Hey! Keepin' it PG!" Piper exclaims.

"I tried to get in touch with you, Annie, but I couldn't. Why is that?" Anthony asks, seemingly oblivious to the others' remarks.

"There's a saying that I've followed all my life; 'If you can't find a reason to do something, then simply don't do it.' I could think of plenty cons in communicating with you, but not one pro. Does that answer your question?" I say, smirking.

"Okay, yeah, that's understandable, you were busy." Why does he never listen to what anyone says? I wonder. "Wipe those tears, my feelings aren't hurt. You're still my dainty little flower." He reaches over to stroke my horrified face, and on reflex, I twist back his wrist, expecting to hear a snap. Instead, his skin has the texture of rubber and his bones like titanium. He looks down at me and smiles mischievously.

"Don't try that again, Annabeautiful. Then I'll have to call upon an even more dangerous army to punish," Anthony starts, and then looks at the entire table, "all of you."

"Um, guys, what's he talking about?" Melissa asks, confused terror clear on her face.

Thalia's eyes are wide. "You people need to get out of here, now! Go gather everyone up and -" But she gets cut off by an eardrum piercing howl.

"GO! Get the mortals out of here!" Piper yells.

Then an array of monsters charges into the cafeteria, busting through windows and walls. "Consider this a warning from the Earth Queen," Anthony sneers, a cruel grin on his face. Percy lunges at him, but he disappears into thin air.

"Dang it!" Jason growls. "He got away!"

"As much as I want to kill Anthony, and I do, we have bigger problems to deal with. Get the humans out of here!" I shout. The other demigods quickly nod, pull out their weapons, and dash into battle, moving mortals to safety.

I do the same and slash at the enemy with my drakon bone sword; empousa collapse, hellhounds fall, and Laistrygonian giants cave-in. I'm feeling great, doing what I was trained to do for so many years; fight. But it didn't quite feel... correct. Something was wrong, yes, very wrong.

I stop and stare at the battle around me. I see all the demigods doing what they should, Hazel manipulating the mist, all the nasties dying, the mortals being rescued. But the innervation remains, the sensation of something crawling right under my nose, and myself not feeling it.

Then it hits me; why did Anthony disappear? Why was he so seemingly indestructible? If he can duel, then why leave? He has a big head. If there's one thing I know about him, it's that he would never back away from a chance in combat. 

My stomach's winding itself into knots, and that's when it happens. A phoenix swoops down and plucks me off the ground, throwing me up onto its back. I go spiraling upward, my body slung carelessly on the back of this huge bird, my screams ringing through the cafeteria.

Percy swivels around and throws his head back to see me. "Annabeth!" His expression is panicked.

"Percy! I'm going to be okay! Don't worry about me! Just come and save me soon, alright?" I try to comfort him, try to make him not be too scared for me. We'll be together again, right? We can't be separated. Not now, not ever again. Things would be okay. Always.

"Annabeth!" he shouts again. "I'll get you! I will! I will! You're not getting away from me! You're not!" His frantic speaking brings tears to my eyes.

"Okay, Seaweed Brain!" Now I can barely make out his face, I'm so high up. "Okay." I observe my surroundings. Miles below me, I see the ground. Around me is only blue sky. I prepare to glance above me, but am stopped by a dreadful voice.

"Well, isn't this a touching moment? The two love birds that just can't find the intelligence to flap their wings." I look up in horror and see Anthony, stroking the phoenix as if it were a beloved pet. "But it seems as if one has been rescued. Welcome, Anna. You will be spending a lot more time with me."

I spit in his face, propelling all of my anger and wrath into that one ball of saliva. He just frowns and says, "Oh, Annie. If you keep acting like that, we won't get along very well, now will we?" His tone is mocking.

"I don't need to worry about that, Gaia worshipper. I'll be just fine. Down there, on the ground," I reply, smiling wistfully. Wordplay: my favorite game.

"We won't be down there in a while, Anna, so why do you say that?" Anthony asks, hiding his confusion with a sly grin.

"That's true," I begin. "We won't be going anywhere. Either you bring me back to my friends, or I die."

His expression goes blank. "You mean if you aren't reunited with your Seaweed Brain, then you'll just die?" Now he looks angry. "You'll just fling yourself off this bird? Does a life with me really sound so bad?"

"Yep, pretty much. You have five seconds to decide." I try to sound brave. My talking must sound so stupid, so reckless. Would I actually choose to fall to my death if he says he won't bring me back to my friends? I guess I'll just have to hope that he will. "One, two, thr -"

"Stop it! Buckles!" Anthony wails.

Then a seatbelt-like rope wraps around my arms, legs, and torso. I try to wriggle free, but fail. I'm stuck fast.

"Let me go! I want to fall!" I yell.

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Annabeautiful. I wish there could be another way. But until you learn to love me, you'll be forever in despair. I'm sorry." With that, he focuses on his steering.

Now, I need a plan. If only I could cut the ropes with my sword, but I dropped it when I was picked up by my doom. But anything sharp should do.

My eyes search everything they can, and soon rest on the back pocket of Anthony's jeans. There lie a dagger, much like my old one. I send a silent prayer up to Athena, hoping that my idea would work.

I scoot closer to him, biting back the taste of bile that comes up every time I'm so near him. "Anthony, honey, could you please cut the bindings on my wrists? I want to hold on better."

He spins around to look at me. "Warming up to me, huh? Well sure, but only the one's on your hands. Buckles off of below elbows only!" Instantly, my wrists are free.

"Thanks," I say, with way more enthusiasm than I'm used to using with Anthony. I stretch out my hand and rest it on the knife. Slowly and carefully, I slip it out of the pocket and quickly start sawing my fabric shackles. They snap apart and I unwrap my makeshift seatbelt. "Anthony, this has been fun but, yeah... bye!"

I fling myself off the phoenix and plummet through the air, laughing. I'm Annabeth Chase, the girl who always has plan, whether you know it or not!

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!! YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW THAT SHE ACTUALLY HAS A PLAN, NOT A SUICIDE MISSION! YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO FIND OUT WHAT IT IS IN THE NEXT CHAPPY!!!!!!!! HOPE YOU ENJOYED!!!!!!!!! BYE!!!!! ATHENA?

ATHENA: JESSICA DOESN'T OWN PJO OR HOO. GOOD MORROW, MORTALS.

ME: THANKS ATHENA! BYE!!!!!!!!! ;) :)