Chapter 38

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!! IF ANY OF YOU ARE WONDERING HOW MY TRAVELS WENT, SIMPLY PUT, THEY WERE TOTES FAB! OKAY, WELL, ENJOY MY MUFFINS!!! ;)

Percy's POV

Jason, Nico, and I race across the rocky landscape, following the quick alabaster wings of the dove in front of us. Our surroundings seem to get more... lush, and sensational as we make our descent on the path to 'The Master's' castle; the air gets sweeter and more aromatic, flowers and plants sprout up out of the ground rapidly, robins sing their lovely songs.

"How do we know if we're getting closer?" Nico gasps, breathing heavily.

I shrug. "Dunno. How long have we been running? Forty-five minutes, an hour?"

Jason nods. "An hour seems right."

Nico slows down, the dove stopping with him. "Wait, what's that?" He points to a tall gray figure in the distance. "Is that the prison?"

I squint my eyes to get a better look. "Not just that. An entire mansion." The dove picks at my shirt sleeve and tugs it. "And we better get going. I think Sophie's sensing that Anthony has broken through his bird gate."

Nico sighs. "Alright. Come on." He begins to sprint toward the castle, Jason and I right behind him.

Annabeth's POV

A sort of tingling sensation runs through my body as the Hat of Death is placed on my head. Luke slides two cords through my nose and I feel like sneezing, but suddenly that goes away. I begin to experience a huge migraine, the worst pain I've ever felt before; probably because in the other situations I was running on pure adrenaline. And in case you would like an example of the anguish that I am suffering, here it is: My brain feels like it's banging itself against red hot iron while sticking a fork into a toaster. Yeah, not so fun.

Suddenly, I no longer feel in control of my movements. I knew this would happen, of course, but I wasn't aware that I would feel so distant from myself, like I'm just another person watching my actions, like I'm not me.

"Welcome. You're name will be Annabeth 2.0," Luke announces, a proud grin on his face.

My legs start to move toward the door that leads out into the Gardens; the place where 'Annabeth 2.0' will slaughter all of her friends.

"Wait. Stop! Luke, there has to still be some part of you that's human. Some part that remembers the hunting days with only you, me, and Thalia. Just us. But that can never happen again if you kill us all, Luke!" I cry, desperately trying to find some part of him that is still him. Not the monster that Gaea created.

He sighs. "Oh, Annabeth. We both know that's never going to happen again, good Luke or bad Luke. Remember? You don't love me." He presses a button on his controller and I take another step forward. "Don't you recall telling me that? You never have." He turns a few knobs on his device and Annabeth 2.0 has suddenly cleared the room and reached the door to the Gardens.

"Luke," I say miserably. Even though I feel I'm no longer connected to my body, the pain of that serious headache is still in full throttle. "Please don't do this."

He stares at me for a while, his icy look slowly melting and his brow unfurrows itself slightly. He glances down at his controller again, and then looks back up at me. "Please," I plead.

He has a thoughtful expression on his face, thinking about what to choose. I continue to stand in the same spot, still and silent.

Then, all of the sudden, he seems to conversate with someone else in his mind. His face goes through many expressions until it lands on a cold, crude one. "No, Annabeth. I truly am sorry." He pushes a couple more buttons and I find my arm moving up to open the door in front of me.

What I see in the Gardens paralizes me.

Percy's POV

Breathless, we finally arrive at the foot of the castle, panting. "Alright," I gasp, "We need to," I huff again, "Save Annabeth."

The others nod  in agreement. "After a quick - five minute - break?" Nico asks hopefully.

"A quick - two minute break," I correct him, sitting down heavily, the others joining me. "While we discuss - our battle plan."

"Really? Are you sure talking - is a good thing to - do right now?" Jason questions.

"You're right," I answer. "Five minutes."

As soon as we can all breathe again, we begin to talk about saving Annabeth. "Do you think she's inside?" I ask.

"Maybe," Jason replies. "But with Gaea being the goddess of the earth and all..."

"Yeah. Okay, we'll start with scouting the outside," I announce. "We'll need to find an inside entrance anyway."

We turn right and head that way, walking around the beautiful scenery and delightful scents. "Guys, there's nothing out here. Not even a side door leading to the mansion. Where is everybo -"

A blood curdling scream rips through the air. "I guess they're that way," I say, sprinting in the direction of the yell. Soon, we reach a huge courtyard, full of gorgeous sights. Jason and Nico stop in their tracks, gawking at the scene. But I'm too focused on the horrifying things about this place to lay my eyes on anything else; Hazel, Frank, Leo, Piper, Thalia, and some other girl that I don't know are chained to the ground by vines, surrounding a gigantic coffin, and hovering over them is... Annabeth, my Annabeth, a knife in her hand, tears streaming down her face. And behind her, a face that betrayed me more than once, someone that stopped the Titan War, somebody that should be dead.

Luke Castellan.

HEY GUYS!!!! YOU LIKE?? I'M IN A HURRY SO I HAVE TO MAKE THIS SHORT. I DON'T OWN PJO OR HOO!!! KK, HOPE YOU ENJOYED!! BYE!!