Chapter 9

Rin's P.O.V.

"Monster"

"Demon"

"No one wants you here"

"Do everyone a favor and die!"

Their words cut into me like broken glass, as I tried to block out the sound of their voices. I was on my knees clutching my ears, trying desperately to makes their voices go away.

"Aww, is the little demon scared," one taunted.

I squeezed my eyes shut, willing away the tears that threatened to spill.

"Ha! He's about to cry," they started laughing. "Well what do you know, demons can cry!"

Why did they hate me so much? I didn't understand. I just wanted them to go away.

"Let's give him a beating he'll never forget," one man said as he stalked toward me.

They all smiled wickedly and moved closer to my huddled form.

'No, please stop,' I cried in my head.

I felt something hit my side, causing the wind to be knocked out of me. A foot soon followed, flying up and hitting me in the chest. I cried out in pain as I fell to the floor. The men all surrounded me and started kicking and punching. I cried for someone, anyone, to help. But no one came. It felt like hours, I had to endure the beating before it finally came to a stop. I sighed in relief, but winced when the sigh caused a sharp pain in my chest.
They must've cracked a rib. A few stray tears slipped down my cheek. At least it was over.... Or so I thought.

"I don't think he's learned his lesson yet," a voice next to me hissed. "I think he needs a little more punishment."

Something swished open and I heard a few people gasp.

"Woah man, don't you think that's taking it a little bit too far."

The first one just laughed. "There's no such thing as taking it too far when punishing a demon."

I flinched at that. Why did everyone call me a demon? Sure I got in a few fights but that didn't make me a demon! Why... why did everyone hate me?

"He may be a demon, but he still just a kid."

'Yes. Please save me. Please, just listen to him, I'm just a kid,' I thought desperately. But he didn't listen.

"If you're too weak to deal with this, then go home."

I heard the man who protested sigh before turning and walking away.

'No! No, please come back! You're my only chance!'

I watched as the one person who could've saved me, turned his back and walked off. His feet disappeared from view and I knew that was it. No one was going to save me.

"Let's have some fun, kid."

I felt something sharp press against my back. I only had a moment to understand what was about to happen before the blade was dragged across my back.